my set up

bubbagump

well i finally got my tank set up last sunday. yesterday i got 8 lbs of live rock and 2 damsels. the tank is cycling, for filtration i have an emporer 400, and a seaclone skimmer 100. i also have a 2 1/2 inch deep sand bed. how long do u think it will take for it to cycle? when it is all cycled i am thinking about getting a dwarf lion or a clown and getting rid of the damsels. one peice of my live rock has some green algea on it, will it stay alive or will it die? i dont have intense lighting just what came with the tank ( a single flourescent bulb).

bdubbya

It typically takes four to six weeks for a cycle. Just out of curiosity why are you cycling with damsels if you have no intentions of keeping them? A cycle can be a very hard thing for a fish to live through, if they live through it. Anyways IMO you should go ahead and take back the damsels now. I'm not sure if you will have enough waste to finish the cycle, so you can get a cocktail shrimp from the store and finish it that way. HTH, and this isn't meant to be a flame. :cool: