My setup and where to go from here

anthonyeku

I really wish I would have found this board BEFORE I started a saltwater tank because I feel like one of the ignorant customers that pet stores have to deal with on a regular basis. I am really glad I decided to go with a saltwater tank though because it is so much more enjoyable. Now that I've found this board, I would love to get some advice and opinions on how to keep my tank going and where to go from here.
I have a 55 gallon tank with crushed coral and live rock going on 3 months with the following:
Three stripe damselfish
Bluefin damselfish
Yellow tail damselfish
Maroon clown
Yellow tang
Bicolor dottyback
Coral beauty angel
Yellow damselfish
Electric blue hermit crab
Chocolate chip starfish
Like I said, I wish I knew how much research and knowledge goes into this hobby so I would have looked for advice before I started. I've learned so much already just by reading this board today. Please bear with me as my pet store really hasn't provided much help. Thanks for your opinions and advice in advance!

integral9

You could get a BTA for your clown or a cleanershrimp. Also snails are good addition. Maybe some coral if your fish won't eat them; check compatibility. Other than that, I'd say your tank is pretty full of fish. Maybe look for some inverts/ bottom dwellers. The CLown is going to take up almost 1/2 the tank when he/she gets to be full size.

anthonyeku

Really? Our clown is already 2 inches and that's full size right? He isn't territorial at all so what do you mean when you say he'll take up half the tank? And sorry to sound dumb but what does BTA stand for?

whitey_028

What kind of light do you have... How much live rock? You might not want to keep the damsels as they are a little agressive...

merredeth

I'd get rid of the tang because your tank is too small. They will give your other tankmates ich as anytime they are stressed that is what happens.
The Coral Beauty is going to get close to four inches when it is an adult. They too, like some swimming room. While some books say 30 gallon is the minimum I tend to believe they should be in a 55 gallon at the minimum - but that is my opinion only. Mt CB is all over the tank. They also like lots of hiding places so create some caves in your rock.
The starfish needs an established tank and I wouldn't have put one in until the tank is a year old as he may starve. Since you already have him, you should supplement feed him with some krill put underneath him.
Damsels are territorial and they do tend to pick on other tankmates. One day you might regret getting them - and getting them out of the tank can be challenging without dismantling your rocks.
I found this site well after I was into saltwater. Had I found it earlier I would have saved myself some money (not to mention make new friends!).
Denise M.

anthonyeku

Originally Posted by Merredeth
I'd get rid of the tang because your tank is too small. They will give your other tankmates ich as anytime they are stressed that is what happens.
I've heard that gobies help control ich and that they eat it right off of Tangs and other fish. Is this true? Would that help with that problem? I would hate to get rid of our tang. Also, our damsels have never been very aggressive towards any other fish. The only fish we have a problem with is our new Bicolor Dottyback. She hides in the live rock and only comes out to eat. When she pokes out, every other fish in the tank (besides the Maroon Clown) come over to smack her back into her spot. I hate that because she's so aesthetically pleasing that I'd like for her to be out and about more.

merredeth

Originally Posted by AnthonyEKU
I've heard that gobies help control ich and that they eat it right off of Tangs and other fish. Is this true? Would that help with that problem? I would hate to get rid of our tang. Also, our damsels have never been very aggressive towards any other fish. The only fish we have a problem with is our new Bicolor Dottyback. She hides in the live rock and only comes out to eat. When she pokes out, every other fish in the tank (besides the Maroon Clown) come over to smack her back into her spot. I hate that because she's so aesthetically pleasing that I'd like for her to be out and about more.
I've heard that too, but I haven't seen it in any tank actually happen.
Cleaner shrimp will clean the fish and the fish will come to the shrimp for the cleaning.
The bigger the damsels get, the more the aggression as a general rule. That is why I think you may come to regret buying them. Now you know why their common name starts with the word dam. :hilarious
Denise M.

anthonyeku

I got a cleaner shrimp today! We named him Gellar after Monica Gellar on "Friends" who loves to clean. haha One fish already got a scrubbing.

cwgibson

your maroon will get about 6in when full grown,so the tank will probably be too small for him and the tang. i would get rid of one or the other. the damsels need to go as well, they are wicked when they get big. bta is bubble tip anemone which my maroons love.you might also want to reconsider the cc as your substrate.

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by AnthonyEKU
I really wish I would have found this board BEFORE I started a saltwater tank because I feel like one of the ignorant customers that pet stores have to deal with on a regular basis. I am really glad I decided to go with a saltwater tank though because it is so much more enjoyable. Now that I've found this board, I would love to get some advice and opinions on how to keep my tank going and where to go from here.
I have a 55 gallon tank with crushed coral and live rock going on 3 months with the following:
Three stripe damselfish
Bluefin damselfish
Yellow tail damselfish
Maroon clown
Yellow tang
Bicolor dottyback
Coral beauty angel
Yellow damselfish
Electric blue hermit crab
Chocolate chip starfish
Like I said, I wish I knew how much research and knowledge goes into this hobby so I would have looked for advice before I started. I've learned so much already just by reading this board today. Please bear with me as my pet store really hasn't provided much help. Thanks for your opinions and advice in advance!

so much fish in so little tank.... :scared: