My Shrimp is in!

shep77

I am a day away from being a week into my cycle. I chose to leave the shrimp in for the duration. Levels are still high, sorry I forgot the numbers at home. Any ways, as I am watching the tank, I am noticing a very slowly creeping brown discoloration on my LS and no my LR. Is this just a natural part of the process that will be taken care of by my future addition of a cleaning crew?

mdmacolyte

Got any photos? Its probably normal... I have a bunch of brown crap on my rocks too and my tank is a little over a week old...

id52

This is from a post by Pfunk which might help
nah, from what i understand the brown algae aka "diatoms" isnt harmful at all, just a nuisance. Its appearance isnt a bad thing though. It means that your tank is nearing the back end of its cycle and soon your tank and water levels will start to stabilize.
Try doing a forum search on "brown algae" or "diatoms". There are tons of these on the boards that will further help you with this problem since it is very common.
In my 55 i am just finishing up my brown algae stage, i hope. My snails, are absolutely pigging out on the stuff. I suggest a clean up crew for your tank as well. Imo, the crabs and snails play a very important role in the overall scheme of things and without them you could be setting yourself up to have very unstable water conditions down the road. Imagine if the garbage truck NEVER came to your house, thats about what it would be like for your tank if you didnt have a cleanup crew of some kind.

shep77

I will do a search on that thanks out to the two of you. I have a hard time believing that the cyle is nearing the end since it has been only a week. But I will re test and see what the numbers say.
No photos as I cam cameraless.
MdmAcolyte, you and I are like tank twins...