My Solution to a tough problem

fgcu14

I am in a bit of a bind with my 46 bow. You see I am a college student and winter break is rapidly approaching. My tank is established in my dorm room and is too large to break down to take home and care for it there. Seeing that I will be gone for a little more than a month, I do not want to leave all my tank inhabitants alone for that long. I was hoping to get some opinions on my plan for the break.
My Plan
I have a spare 10 gal tank(former guppy tank) back home and I was thinking of setting that up as a home away from home sort of deal. I have a HOB filter rated for a 10 gal tank that I was going to hook up. Also I was going to hook up my seaclone100 to the 10gal tank. With that hardware I will be bringing home 10lbs give or take a few LR and my PC light.
Now with this set up will I be able to house my LM blenny and 2 perc clowns as well as my Yellow Polyps?
And one last question. I also have a few damselfish in my tank now. I figured since they are very hardy SW fish they would be able to fend for themselves for the month or so that I would be gone. Is this the case? I have a huge amount of algae in the tank and figured they could munch on that.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fgcu14
And one last question. I also have a few damselfish in my tank now. I figured since they are very hardy SW fish they would be able to fend for themselves for the month or so that I would be gone. Is this the case? I have a huge amount of algae in the tank and figured they could munch on that.
They aren't that hardy... what's the temp going to be for a month?

fgcu14

I live in Florida and I will still have my normal setup running, Minus the PC and skimmer. I will have a standard light fixture to replace the PC which will be set on a timer. So the heater will still be on and all that fun stuff.

teresaq

what about adding an auto feeder?? is the entire dorm shuting down?? sometime they turn off the power.?? do you have a friend that can come by and check on them??

N

nereef

yep, i would get yourself a good auto feeder. many campuses have foreign students who don't go home, and they stay in the dorms. if you use the 10 gal at home it will need to cycle first. what is your stock list?

cymbal67

michael had the same idea i did. see if lfs will babysit them for you. i know when i go into the lfs's around here...they always have something they are holding for someone.

taznut

using the lfs sounds like your best bet unless you can get some one to feed them for you because moving them like this is going to cause a lot of stress... good luck...

fbm

Maybe see if anyone from this message board can help you out, I would but I live in Ohio....but if you pay for my plane tickets.... :joy:

fgcu14

Well about the power issue...I am a Resident Assistant and I know that people stay over the break and the power will be left ON. Good point about the top offs. With the cycling thing i was going to use some water change water.
I will be looking into the LFS but if that doesnt work out are the auto feeders are they reliable? I would not want to give someone a key to my place. with my position there are alot of kids I dont trust.

wattsupdoc

It will not be able to happen for that period of time without some attention from time to time. PERIOD! You will come back to a crashed tank if not a burnt down house. Give the damsels back to the LFS and bring the rest with you. Put some snails in there and run the minimal amout of flow that you can. Get a 55 gal. trashcan and set up an auto top off. Clean you'r filters before you leave. You're LFS should give you a credit and you can get new damsels when you get back.

fgcu14

Burnt down house is alittle extream isnt it!
but majority rules. I will be getting rid of my damsel fish. Doubt my LFS will give me credit though. Maybe $1 per fish. Anyway thanks for everyones advice.