my sump design

jonrn

hello guys. im changing my sump next week. ofcourse, before i do something, i ask the experts
will this work as my sump? in terms of evaporation, where will i see the drop of water?will there be a waterfall at the last baffle(before going to return chamber) in the event of evaporation? do i set the height of the baffles(those 3 that are touching the sump floor) to the water level the skimmer manufacturer requires(like some say 7-10inches of water, not sure about nw 200).i reallywould appreciate your help.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by jonrn
http:///forum/post/2821800
hello guys. im changing my sump next week. ofcourse, before i do something, i ask the experts
will this work as my sump? in terms of evaporation, where will i see the drop of water?will there be a waterfall at the last baffle(before going to return chamber) in the event of evaporation? do i set the height of the baffles(those 3 that are touching the sump floor) to the water level the skimmer manufacturer requires(like some say 7-10inches of water, not sure about nw 200).i reallywould appreciate your help.
Looks like your design will work as long as the baffle between the skimmer and fuge is taller than the last baffle. In terms of evaporation, you will see a drop in water in the return section. There will probably be a waterfall anyway in the return depending on how powerful your overflow is, but you will see the level go down. As for the baffle level of the baffle between the skimmer and fuge section, it doesn't have to be the level that the skimmer manufacturer requires, and you could just put the skimmer on a stand, or u could just put it at the required height, its all up to u.

Just my two cents but with the water entering the refug at the top and leaving at the top you could have most of the water flowing over the top if you added another baffel to the left of the first two it would force the water to enter at the bottom and pass completly through the refug. not a neccessity (Sp) but in my own i would. To avoid a waterfall in the last chamber either lower the baffel to just about an inch or so above the intake for your return pump. two things there wont be a waterfall and when water does get to the bafffel that is refill time. How big of a sump will this be?

jonrn

how about this? lost in all, you are right about the water just flowing on the top. i just took out the baffle before the fuge so the water can enter at the bottom(no plans on keeping sand on the fuge, just macro) i lowered the last baffle too, does this look better? its going to be a 30 gallon.

that should fix any flow issues, not trying to pick apart your plans or anything cause i am somewhat new to all this too. when i built my sump's i left enought room in the first baffel to place live rock rubel or some type of micron sock if i needed to put any extra filter media in it.
here is a quick diagram of what mine looks like