my tang has got an itch.

pegasus

It makes no sense for ick to be present in a tank that fallowed for 6 weeks. Unless your fish were still hosting the parasite, there's no logical explanation for it. It would be impossible for me to capture all of the fish in my 125 without totally tearing the tank down. I have had an outbreak of Ick in that tank, so I treated the tank with MelaFix. I didn't want to, but tearing the tank down wasn't an option. It cured my fish, and as far as I could tell, it didn't affect any of the other creatures. I don't think MelaFix is meant to treat Ick, but it could have healed the fish enough to ward off the parasite long enough for it to die. If you can get a close-up picture of the spots on your fish, please post them.

pegasus

I've got orbit marine LEDs and everyone told me they weren't strong enough for most corals. I've got Duncan's and Trumpets and they're doing better than my ZOA's and mushroom. The Duncan's have tripled from 2 to 6 and I've had three polyps split so far on the Trumpets. All in a matter of two months.
I have a 36'-48" Marineland "Reef Capable" w/timer lamp sitting on a closet shelf that I bought for $200. If anyone wants if for $100 plus shipping to get it, it's available. It grew nuisance algae really good, and my live rocks bleached until they were snow white. I think it's because it's only 10K and a few 460nm LED's thrown in. I also think the dispersion lenses on the 460nm LED's renders the wavelength pretty much useless. The only thing I liked about the light was the timer and the bright moonlight LED's. Other than that, it makes a good paper weight...

The Orbit Marine LED's have 4 wavelengths that would provide spectrums that the Marineland can't. The combination of 8,000K/12,000K white along with 445nm/460nm actinic blue makes a world of difference. That's why Silverado is having good success with his LPS.

trigger40

It makes no sense for ick to be present in a tank that fallowed for 6 weeks. Unless your fish were still hosting the parasite, there's no logical explanation for it. It would be impossible for me to capture all of the fish in my 125 without totally tearing the tank down. I have had an outbreak of Ick in that tank, so I treated the tank with MelaFix. I didn't want to, but tearing the tank down wasn't an option. It cured my fish, and as far as I could tell, it didn't affect any of the other creatures. I don't think MelaFix is meant to treat Ick, but it could have healed the fish enough to ward off the parasite long enough for it to die. If you can get a close-up picture of the spots on your fish, please post them.
i got another skunk cleaner that should help. my iphone camera is not good enough to get a good pic of the tang. but after a year of having ich im %100 sure its ich. but after spending a boat load of money on things to help with the ich, i think this time around i am going to let it work its self out. i got two cleaners to help the tang out but from now on ill just stick to the basics, good water quality and good food. hopefully my dont all die. now if only my cleaner shrimp will stop trying to mount each other and do their job.

trigger40

Aw... love at first sight? I told you so...
its been non stop since i put them in. but i think i know what happend. i put a peice of coral in a few days ago... i want to hit myself because that may be where the ich came from.

pegasus

its been non stop since i put them in. but i think i know what happend. i put a peice of coral in a few days ago... i want to hit myself because that may be where the ich came from.
You may have found the missing link. Once Ick detaches from it's host, it attaches to some kind of substrate where it can multiply.

trigger40

You may have found the missing link. Once Ick detaches from it's host, it attaches to some kind of substrate where it can multiply.
yea now i feel dumb...

i am considering doing hypo in the dt. i can put my old fake decor in there to make it look some what good.

pegasus

yea now i feel dumb...

i am considering doing hypo in the dt. i can put my old fake decor in there to make it look some what good.
If you didn't make mistakes, you wouldn't be human... lol!

That will work. Just remember when it's time to raise the salinity, do it s-l-o-w-l-y...

trigger40

yea i think i am definetly going to do hypo in the dt. haha i am going to take my time with hypo, so far patience has worked during hypo. i just got to remember to qt my corals!!!

but the shrimp are now hard at work, but now some spots are poping up on the angel and the shrimp are having trouble keeping up.

pegasus

yea i think i am definetly going to do hypo in the dt. haha i am going to take my time with hypo, so far patience has worked during hypo. i just got to remember to qt my corals!!!

but the shrimp are now hard at work, but now some spots are poping up on the angel and the shrimp are having trouble keeping up.
Way to go, shrimp! If they're able to keep the trophonts picked off of the fish, the Ick cycle could be broken without you having to do anything. Of course, they would have to clean all the fish of every speck, but it could happen. I wouldn't be surprised if cleaner shrimp actively searched for the tomont and thermont stages of Ick. They tend to wander all over the tank after dark...

trigger40

Way to go, shrimp! If they're able to keep the trophonts picked off of the fish, the Ick cycle could be broken without you having to do anything. Of course, they would have to clean all the fish of every speck, but it could happen. I wouldn't be surprised if cleaner shrimp actively searched for the tomont and thermont stages of Ick. They tend to wander all over the tank after dark...
its actualy really weird, they will fallow each other around the tank in a line. its like watching a game of fallow the leader.
has anybody bread cleaner shrimp? im going to give it a few days befor i start hypo to see if the cleaner shrimp can take care of it.

pegasus

I've had a few bonded pairs, but I've never seen any eggs or babies. If they were able to hatch a brood, I'm pretty sure they babies would get gobbled up by the critters in the tank. I haven't attempted it in the refugium, so I can't say whether it's possible or not. Yeah, I'd give it a few days to see what happens. It's still early, and the longer they're in there, the better the symbiotic relationship between them and the fish will become. The tang and angel will start visiting them more often, even when nothing is wrong with them.

mauler

Cleaner shrimp actually don't do anything for ick there's no proof that they eat they eat the ick parasite if anything its more of a placebo effect they get from the shrimp.

pegasus

Cleaner shrimp actually don't do anything for ick there's no proof that they eat they eat the ick parasite if anything its more of a placebo effect they get from the shrimp.
While it's hard to find scientific data sheets to prove or disprove the shrimp's ability to remove Ick from fish, the overwhelming majority of information available supports the theory that it DOES. It didn't become the most popular shrimp in the marine industry by looking cute... although it does.

mauler

I believe it did become so popular just because of looking cute and because of the idea that it will cure ick not that it will. I've tried them myself my fish would go to them constantly butthey continued to scratch and show signs of ick so I'm not a believer that they cure ick more that they make the fish feel like there being cured

pegasus

I believe it did become so popular just because of looking cute and because of the idea that it will cure ick not that it will. I've tried them myself my fish would go to them constantly butthey continued to scratch and show signs of ick so I'm not a believer that they cure ick more that they make the fish feel like there being cured
Even if it's just the calming effect, it relaxes the fish so they aren't stressed to the point that their immunity system can't battle off the effects of Ick. Either way, they do seem to make a difference.

I know they helped my Coral Beauty heal after a round of Velvet about a year ago. His head had so many open wounds that I honestly didn't think he would survive. He did, and with regular visits to the cleaning station, his head is almost completely clear of the scars. I guess I won't be able to call him "Scarface" too much longer.

Last edited:

mauler

I just don't believe they truly help if they were a way of curing ick then I feel like more people would be recommended everyone go out and buy cleaner shrimp. But that's just my opinion