My tank so far - Need suggestions

kingzfan

Hello all....I just wanted to post these picts of my tank and ask if, in your opinion, what would make it better. It's a 55 gallon glass tank with 2 96watt PC actinics and 2 10K bulbs.
all readings are at 0 except for nitrate which is at 10 - 15. I am currently making a canopy for it and I will be adding 2 250W metal halide. Any advice you can give to help me make it more colorful etc would be appreciated. Here are the picts.

overanalyzer

What is your filtration? I woudl suggest a refugium to help you drop your trates.
Also - people say that the flower pots do not live very long and have a hard time surviving very long. Never had one but I'd be watchful of it.
Like your corals - would love to have a hammer like that!!
Would suggest a slow ramp up on your lights when you add them. So you don't shock your corals too much.
Would love to see some more corals in there but I am sure you would too ;)
Also - is the clown the only fish you have??
How old is the tank?
Good luck and looks liek it is starting off nicely (if you are just starting that is)

kingzfan

the tank is around 2 or 3 months now. I use a sump with rock and other coral and things. My LFS told me that I shouldn't put bio balls in there because they promote nitrate. I also have a Berlin protein skimmer.
As far as other fish and stuff. I also have a yellow tang, manderin goby (he is always hiding), a coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 6 hermit crabs.
The flower pot is my favorite. when I brought it home...it didn't flourish too much. Then I added the better PC lighting. Now it's looking better. Everything is looking better.
what I don't understand is how can I slowly add more lighting. If I buy the MH how can I add them so I don't shock the tank? thanks for the advice

michaeltx

to acclimate the coral to halide its better to start out by running the lights for an hour or so for a few weeks and then add more time and slowly increade the time the lights are on till you get to a full on time. if yo just add them and turn them on most of the corals will bleach out and get stressed. so you have to acclimate them to the stronger light slowly.
MIke

broncofish

Take a deep breath is my first advice...it looks nice. Second enjoy the flowerpot now because it's a goner..not your fault I bought one also before I knew about them. Once you put the metal halide in you can start keeping SPS and I have no clue about that stuff I stick to soft stuff and anemones, and failed attemempts at breeding clowns.

kingzfan

Originally posted by waterfaller1
kingzfan,how much liverock do you have?Mandarins need at least 100 lbs to survive..

I have about 65lbs of live rock in it right now. I was thinking of putting more in there. Now that you have suggested it...I believe it will do it sooner than later. Thanks for the info.

kingzfan,how much liverock do you have?Mandarins need at least 100 lbs to survive..

I didn't know there were "rock eating" fish! Geez louize, at 5 bucks a pound I bet your pocket has holes in it from all the rock your Mandarin eats.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
I didn't know there were "rock eating" fish! Geez louize, at 5 bucks a pound I bet your pocket has holes in it from all the rock your Mandarin eats.

Bubba - weren't you just complaining about sarcasm ;)

john reed

Kingzfan,
Nice Flowerpot. I.m not sure how long Broncofish had his flowerpot but I had one in a 65 reef for about 8 months broke down & sold the tank to a friend he has had it for another 6 months flowerpot is doing great.

broncofish

Originally posted by john reed
Kingzfan,
Nice Flowerpot. I.m not sure how long Broncofish had his flowerpot but I had one in a 65 reef for about 8 months broke down & sold the tank to a friend he has had it for another 6 months flowerpot is doing great.

mine died after 1yr 6months...they live for hundreds of years in the wild.

krunk

waterfaller, not all mands. eat pods.... the ones my lfs sell, all eat frozen foods, they have a 5 year old mand in the display tank, eats frozen foods, its FAT.

john reed

Bronc,
Sorry about your flower. In most cases things of any nature will live longer in some cases alot longer in thier natural habitat. I'll keep ya updated on my old one.:cool: