my tank

sandiegan

Just a few quick questions about my 30g tank if anyone can answer them.
1) Had water in it for ~3 weeks, LR and LOTS of LS in it. It all came from a guy's tank who had to move. He had it for ~4months. Been testing pretty often and I'm getting
SG 1.026
PH 8.3
ammonia 0
trites 0
trates 8
Anything wrong with those numbers? Never had an ammonia spike. With the LR ~20 hermits and ~15 snails have been in there. which brings me to...
2) Should I still throw a shrimp in? I figure my hermits will devour it before it really gets to decompose at all. Haven't had a problem with any algae or anything either. A few small things of bubble algae, but they aren't spreading very fast.
3) My only problem is lots and lots of aipstasia (sp?). Any suggestions besides getting some peps? They're everywhere so injecting is sort of out of the question. Plannning on getting 4 peps, is that too much/too little for my tank? Oh yeah, only want a FOWLR right now.
So that's about it. No serious lighting yet. Have an AquaC remora on it and a 270gph pwrhead in the tank. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments greatly appreciated.
SD

D

dholmblad

I dont know that much, but if you throw in a shrimp and it does decompose your tank will start a new cycle and your amonia lvl will fluctuate. So with the little knowledge i have i would recomend against it.

joker_ca

yes do not put the shrimp in your tank you'll most likely end up killing your cleanup crew
for the aipstasia in your tank post that question in the reef section to get some good answers but i have heard people at my LFS inject them with very hot water to kill them also some butterflys eat them but your tank is to small for a butterflly fish i think your best beat is the pepermint shrimp

alohami

Yes, do a search on Aipstasia. You will find lots of info. Seems the overwhelming choice to kill them is JoesJuice. You can buy it for around $7. Good luck!

heath75

when i started my tank after about a month i added some fish. buy the cheep ones. damsels. to this day all are still alive and kicking. its been about a year now:yes:

sandiegan

No fish yet. Only 20 hermits, 15 snails, lots of aps, some pods and some sort of i want to say coral? I'll post a pic of it later when I find my camera. Ordering 5 peps from SWF later this week I think.