My Tank

ballardboi

150g. Acquired a lot of my friends corals since he was moving. Didn't expect for it to fill up so fast...so I will be watching it like a hawk...as my tank is very new. The sponge, though I love it, not real sure I have the best tank for it, since I don't have much shade, I am going to place a circulation pump near it to try and keep the flow extremely high for buildup etc. We shall see, might have to trade that in.

flower

Wow, very nice indeed!
I love new set ups, they always look so nice and clean. Aside from needing a background to hide the wires, it looks awesome. I love the rock work. Sponges are very hard to keep alive but yours looks really healthy. Lots of flow and lots of food to keep them going. A piece of cardboard or painted black Plexiglas over the area where the sponge lives will keep it safe from the bright coral lights, maybe designate that part of the tank for coral that doesn't require the bright lights....the gorgonia is in danger from bright lights as well and need the same care the sponge does as far as flow and food. That's what I did when I kept a reef tank, and it worked out pretty good for me (10 yrs).

ballardboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394148/my-tank#post_3507905
Wow, very nice indeed!
I love new set ups, they always look so nice and clean. Aside from needing a background to hide the wires, it looks awesome. I love the rock work. Sponges are very hard to keep alive but yours looks really healthy. Lots of flow and lots of food to keep them going. A piece of cardboard or painted black Plexiglas over the area where the sponge lives will keep it safe from the bright coral lights, maybe designate that part of the tank for coral that doesn't require the bright lights....the gorgonia is in danger from bright lights as well and need the same care the sponge does as far as flow and food. That's what I did when I kept a reef tank, and it worked out pretty good for me (10 yrs).
Yes, I was thinking of actually doing something like that. One question. On my overflow boxes, they have the intake also near the bottom...i have had 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 ocelaris that have gotten "sucked" in and end up sticking out the returns...should i just put some mesh netting over these? I guess they were just too curious and got sucked in.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballardboi http:///t/394148/my-tank#post_3507920
Yes, I was thinking of actually doing something like that. One question. On my overflow boxes, they have the intake also near the bottom...i have had 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 ocelaris that have gotten "sucked" in and end up sticking out the returns...should i just put some mesh netting over these? I guess they were just too curious and got sucked in.
Covering them with a filter material will help (anemones are the main ones for getting sucked up)...but a mesh wouldn't do anything except keep the criiter stuck on the mesh...also the coverings will get clogged up, and if the overflow gets clogged enough you will have a flood on your hands...healthy critters shouldn't get sucked up.