My very first coral !

mayo

I am just about to go buy my first coral. . .
I don't know much about them, but I want something cool and bright. I also want it to host my two tank raised percs.
What would you recommend. and how do I take proper care of it?
I have a 29 gal tank
live rock, live sand, standard clean up crew.
2 false percs and a canary blenny . . . all tank raised.
Coralife 2 50/50 compact fluorescents (30 inch)
123 watt.
2-65 watt lamps
Actinic 03 (50%)
10,000 K (50%)
thanks for any help you can offer me

T

therock0861

There is no guarantee that your percs will host in anything at all and you also need to consider the needs of the coral. I would suggest that you start out with something simple like mushrooms or green star polyps see how they do and then go from there.

R

royalshrimp

Originally posted by TheRock0861
. I would suggest that you start out with something simple like mushrooms or green star polyps see how they do and then go from there.

i agree:yes:

suver569

Zoos or mushrooms, they're almost impossible to kill :p
Tank raised xenia's are usually indestructible too, make sure they are tank raised though.

mayo

can i see some pics of zoos, mushrooms, and xenias ?
so I can make the decision ?
thanks guys

beachbumtx

HIya!,
Here is a Christmas Tree coral. It takes little care and can handle low level lighting. It will need some phytoplankton once a week.

beachbumtx

Hiya!,
Blue Mushrooms and Yellow colony polyps. Moderate light levels are needed. They will basically survive off the light, but will take in plankton.

mayo

my lights --->
Coralife 2 50/50 compact fluorescents (30 inch)
123 watt.
2-65 watt lamps
Actinic 03 (50%)
10,000 K (50%)
is this considered low level lighting or moderate ?
what would you say ?
can I handle corals that need lots of light ?

technik

Your lighting is enough to take care of the ones listed. I give a vote for the mushrooms. First coral I bought 3 years ago and it has survived every mishap and frags constantly.