My wanter is contaminated!! HELP!!!!!

vince

I was floating few icepacks that were sent from swf package to cool down my water temperature but today, it popped on me. Now there are these white jelly things floating around. Are these harmful to fish? please respond quick!! thank u!

oceanblue

Vince,
I'll bet they are, they usually use a chemical gel in those cold packs, if it says do not come in contact on the bag, then its' bad. I would try to net out any big chunks and do a water change and watch real close! do more water changes if necessary to get the stuff out!

q

I would agree. If it isn't water it isn't good. Might want to stick to using frozen bottles.
If the material does leach chemicals into the tank you probably won't be able to test for them so doing more water changes might be a good idea.
You could also call SWF and ask what is really inside the coolers before doing anything drastic. They might be using "safe" freeze packs.

vince

I can't.. they are smaller chunks similar to brine shrimps and already have settled to substrate! :mad:

jacrmill

i would call SWF and ask them what they recommend. they should know whats in them and if its safe, and how to remove it.

vince

so far. nothing looks bad.. I mean. nothing is dead )=P... I didn't spill much. If its not too serious, I will let it go

broomer5

vince,
Not sure if this helps or not, but something I found out on the www.
Brian
Reusable ice packs contain primarily water, but additives are necessary to lower the freezing point of the water and to thicken the pack to reduce leakage. Coloring agents-usually blue-convey a "cold" image, while a preservative prevents bacteria and mold growth.
METHOCEL* cellulose ether is used as a thickener in reusable cold packs, as well as in a variety of products from shampoos to foods. METHOCEL is produced by the reaction of cellulose (obtained from wood or cotton) with methyl chloride, yielding methylcellulose. If propylene oxide is added to the reaction mixture, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is produced. The number of substituent groups on the ring determines the properties of the various products.

vince

thank you for taking your time to research the information broomer. I really apprecieate it.