my water is electrict help ! lol

mch2o

I came home to day and went to put more plant life in my sump and when my had touched the water i got shocked alittle.
How bad is this and what can I do about it.
My Electronnics in the tank are 2x koralois stage 4's, a corallife 85 skimmer, 150 uro skimmer, and a return bump. oh and light over sump and main tank.
Please help I am scared of everything in my tank is going to die

keebler

Originally Posted by mch2o
http:///forum/post/2769160
I came home to day and went to put more plant life in my sump and when my had touched the water i got shocked alittle.
How bad is this and what can I do about it.
My Electronnics in the tank are 2x koralois stage 4's, a corallife 85 skimmer, 150 uro skimmer, and a return bump. oh and light over sump and main tank.
Please help I am scared of everything in my tank is going to die

It should be fine for now if it is just in the sump. Take everything electrical out of the sump and figure out what is causing it. You unplug one thing and see if it still does it, then unplug another etc until it stops. replace that item and whamo, you are done.

aquaguy24

get a grounding probe and a gfci..plug it to a grounded outlet and place the probe in the sump..then find out wats causing electricity in the water and remove it..don;t forget to wear rubber gloves....

mygatt

One of the worst threats in this hobby is electricution!!!! For your own safety - Please Please Please!!! Unplug everything and check out all of your equipment before getting shocked again - also - do you have your tank grounded? SOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT!!! It is really inexpensive and could save your life!! I have heard and seen horror stories of people getting badly injured or DYING from electricution from their fish tank. Im sorry to be soo negative but this is serious - you need to find out what is causing this, even if you have to call a electrician. You could do what Keebler said above - just make sure you have a thick pair of rubber gloves.

mch2o

i think i have found the problem. It looks to be both of my kolaris stage 4 jets. that are doing it i tested both of them and each time felt it when i turned on of them on.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I was going to tell yah to check your koralias. They are notorious for adding additional electrical charges.
They don't all do it, but you do have to look out for them.
You should have a GFCI Unit on your electrical outlet as well as a titanium grounding probe. I tell yah, if it weren't for those things right there, I would not be here today.
I have dropped light bulbs in the water, I have dropped exposed electrical wire accidently in the water, I have had pumps explode, Heaters bust and a whole array of other very unfortunate things happen to me. If it weren't for the GFCI's and the grounding probes,... like I said... I wouldn't be here today.