My worst nightmare...and a powerful lesson

So far everything is still alive. I now realize that this was all hapening in front of my eyes and I never realized it. For the past few months I have kind of noticed a few drops of water on the bottom of the tank when I would be doing filter maintenance. I had always presumed it was just condensation from the sump under the tank, but now I am all the wiser and realize what it truly was.
I have the receipt, but the store won't take the tank back or exchange it. I am now going through AGA/Aqueon.

lyndseydanell

I'm glad that all of you fish are alive, but if you have the receipt everything should be fine.
Good luck with the situation and I hope everything works out. Hopefully you get a new and more improved tank (for free)! =)

He said to include pictures of any property damage in the stuff i sent him. I mentioned we may have to replace the brand new wooden flooring and he asked if the stand was damaged. I replied that it was and was soaked. Hopefully I get a new tank and maybe even a new stand

I hope I don't have to buy a new stand. It would be the third one. The first was ordered online and turned out to be a particle board piece of crap that didn't even piece together correctly so my dad go so pissed he threw it off the deck
That was $295 and then we bought the stand I have now and if I have to buy another I just might pop a vein

I'd be in heaven if I got a RR tank out of this. Anybody know if theres any tanks that have the same length and width dimensions as a 125, but taller?
The store I got the tank from said their return policy was 10 days
Lot of good that does me. Unfortunately I did'nt want to make a scene anyways. I start the police academy soon and that would reflect poorly on myself morally.

E

emeralcrab

I feel for you, just went through that myself. 150g started leaking from under neath. It was a used tank when I bought it. Came home to water running out from under it. It is now a ball python cage and I went out and bought a new 210g. Man I hope it doesn't fail on me, once is enough. Good luck with the police academy. My husband has been a deputy for 33 years now.

K

kikithemermaid

Oh no, that's awful....I hope all your fish make it. What kinds do you have?

Powder Blue Tang- $50
Pink Diamond Watchman Goby- $70
Flame Angelfish- $40
Lawnmower Blenny- $40
Fire Goby- $50
Clownfish- $20
2 Anthias- $80
2 Cardinals- $80
Arrow Crab- $20
Cleaner shrimp- $30
Total = $ 480
There may be some good that comes out of this. Hopefully I get to keep the broken tank so I can use it as a new mansion for my blue-tongued skink. Then maybe I can take the skinks current 40 gallon tank and turn it into a mantis tank or maybe even a reef since I can actually afford metal halide for a 40 gallon. Metal Halide lights for a 125 are way more than I want to spend........I'll keep my rock and fish thank you very much

rune

I was browsing these boards awhile back and read a thread where a guy went to pick up a tank and the bottom broke almost taking off his pinky. I'm scared senseless to pick up even an empty tank nowadays.. I like my fingers.
Now I've read your thread and I'm scared I'll come home to the same scenario one day. The only problem we have is that we currently do not have a GFI outlet. Definately going to take your advice and make sure we get one.
Hope your fish make it through and you get a new tank soon!

acroman

yes i am new to this board but not new to fish tanks had them all of my life and had all of these failures even the smallest improfection on the stand can make the silicone on the tank seperate do yourself a huge favor and before you set up your next tank run down to your local hardware store and get yourself a sheet of half inch styrofoam insulation cut it exactly to fit in your stand and this will solve all of your problems the styrofoam will take up any improfection and cushion the seams on your tank had lots of dealings with large tanks seam seperation is really common on tanks 5 foot and larger never had eny more problems

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo
http:///forum/post/2715338
I'd be in heaven if I got a RR tank out of this. Anybody know if theres any tanks that have the same length and width dimensions as a 125, but taller?
Our AGA 150 RR tank is 72 long and 28 tall. I hate that height and would have loved to have a 24 inch tall but 24 deep tank instead.

mjweber

Have you hard from AGA? I really hope they send you a new tank. Its one thing if you buy a used tank with a questionable past, but when you buy a brand new tank and that happens, its just awful. I hope your fish are all still alive.

N

nereef

aga guarantees any tank over a 55 forever. you should be able to get it replaced, unless the failure is due to negligence.

Sorry, its been a while. AGA sent me a new tank along with a new stand as well. However, I have yet to set it up due to the floor being ripped up in the tanks new location in order to make it completely level. Its incredibly painful waiting this long believe me. They're ripping up tile however and putting hardwood flooring down so if I try to set up the tank it will be too close to the work and will leave the tank in a crash.
2 days ago I lost my flame angel
I found a emerald crab floating today but I'm hoping it was just a molt. I am incredibly pissed at myself because I have never lost a fish. EVER. Until now.
I'm seriously considering getting a 20 long and getting a little bio-wheel filter and running that instead. Obviously I have pushed my luck and is dangerously close now as the levels of nitrites in the rubbermaid are becoming quite high and there is a oil-ish film on the surface. I may buy everything tommorow at work when my shift is over. The only thing that concerns me is how well my powder blue tang will do in a 20 long.

small triggers

I'm assuming at this point you ave never had a quarintine set up? Are you still thinking of changing you 40 into a fish tank? Id say having abother tank, or atleast a sump you could put your livestock in would be good.

addicted2

I have to admit...reading this thread has left me feeling *concerned...to say the least.
sorry for your *situation.
man...

jaymz

Sorry to hear about all this and I know its hard to look at it this way, but after its all said and done you will have a better tank and a better situation, and a huge lesson learned. Can you get a skimmer into your rubbermaid.. that would help alot. and do a water change ofcourse. I think it would be easier then buy a 20L and all the stuff to get it running.

So, over 2 months later I'm almost setting up the new tank. Theyre finally finishing up the flooring in the new area where the tank will be and we made sure we did it right to make it strong and perfectly level. We had to pull up a foot of concrete and some old beams but its just about done. Just have to put down the laminated flooring. Fish are still living in the same rubbermaid container, horrible I know but its working so far. Still only lost the one fish so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can wait another week or less.
If nothing else, this is great testimony that fish can adapt well and can survive over 2 months in a rubbermaid at least. Certainly not advisable, but possible.
Is there anything that people put under stands to make it perfectly level like some kind of foam or something? Thought I heard of something like that so I figured I would ask even though the floor should be perfectly level.

prime311

I usded shims to level my stand. Its in the finished part of my basement though so I didn't have to worry about the weight distribution.