My Xenia Problem

nolesfan06

Everytime i put xenia in my tank they do nothin but die. i really like the stuff a lot but it just wont stay alive in the tank. I got 175w MH lighting and other stuff like shrooms, zoos, leathers, a plate lookin thing and a huge LTA. but i put the xenia in there and it disappears within a week. whats wrong, how come i can have the other stuff but this wont stay alive? i tried it on the top, the bottom, the middle everywhere!!! :mad:
Calling all help!!!

pclown

What size tank and how deep is it? Is there anything close that would sting it?
What is you water like?

nolesfan06

they really wouldn't get eatin they just kept shrinkin till they got to small to see. i do have some hermits in there.

rujelus22

I would take a look at the hermits watch them when they get close to your xenias and see what they do, I did and sure enough they where having xenia for lunch

pclown

Hermits would not be a problem, but the LTA or corals could sting it if it is within a certain distance.

nolesfan06

well the tank is a 40 gal. cube and it is 24 in. deep, but i tried them at all depths??? my water quality is normal, all my other corals and anemones are doing great.

jacklax

nolesfan...what kind of flow are you looking at? Also...are you dosing anything? How often are water changes taking place? I had my first batch melt down as well...since then all has been fine. By the way, I found one of the clumps that had melted...it was stuck against the back side of an intake. I rubberbanded it to a rock...it came back and is twice as large as when I bought it.
Go Noles!

nolesfan06

for fish i got a false prec, blue chromis, stripped damsel(want to get rid of), and a coral beauty, for inverts i got 2 peppermints hermits, and a emerald crab but i never see him near it.

jacklax

My Coral Beauty hasn't touched a single Xenia...put I do consider myself to be lucky. I believe the issue is they are melting...this leads me to believe something in the water is the issue.

pclown

I had read where people complaind about Peppermint shrimp eating some corals as well, so the Peppermint Shrimp and the Coral Beauty are my guess.

J

jasondean

I have a large colony of these and everyonce in a while one will die off but it spreads thru the tank and I end up with little ones all over. After it shrinks bdown to nothing somtimes another one will grow out of the same spot like it was reborn. Good Luck.