My Zoanthids.......Dead

05xrunner

i dont think they would have died over a 1.032 salinty. that really isnt THAT high. maybe if it was like that for a LONG time it might do something. alot of people keep their tanks at like .028 I think something else could have done it

grabbitt

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2610605
i dont think they would have died over a 1.032 salinty. that really isnt THAT high. maybe if it was like that for a LONG time it might do something. alot of people keep their tanks at like .028 I think something else could have done it
Likewise. I don't know if 1.032 sg would knock a colony out like that...

flricordia

Maybe in such a small tank if that is indeed a pico. I have many times inadvertently increased the salinity and also the ph to over 9 and never lost a zoanthi. I would agree that thee may have been something else, though pink mat polyps (candy apple pinks or whatever common name you wish to give) are a bit more tempermental than most other zoanthids.
I would also look toward the possibility that picos are a very sentitive system and any other number of possibilities such as killing benificial bacteria during the spike thereby causing excess ammonia leading to nitrates could have lead to their stress and demise.