mysterious deaths

benj2112

Originally posted by sharkey708
yes. some of the fish look like they have little white specs on them,

I don't think this is a good sign either way...

sharkey708

Thanks for all of your help. 10 fish in a 75 is too many? I thought the biggest of the bunch would be the angel and hippo, and the rest would be 6 in or under, no? They are all juveniles currently, so I dont think overcrowding should come into play, should it? the biggest was the majestic at 5 inches. Anyway, I appreciate all your help. Should I treat all of them at once in QT?

benj2112

Yeah...10 fish in a 75 doesn't sound like much, but depending on the fish it can be (and always stock by how big they will get...not how big they are right now).
QT all the ones that look sick. Watch the others and QT them if they show the smallest sign of getting sick. With that many fish it would be hard to QT all in the same tank I would think.

benj2112

If you think your tank looks empty then that is where you do lots and lots of research and practice keeping your water a perfect conditions and slowly fill the things with different corals. Plus, there is all the life besides the fish. I always find it amazing when I look at my tank at night with a flashlight with a red cover on it....so much life.

xenomorph

Also, Boxfish can release toxins if stressed/harrassed. Depending on his size and your filtration, it could be possible that the dilution along with the filtration removal (possbly have a skimmer?), you box has expelled poison and weakend you fishes immunity, making them successible to pathogens/parasites. Cows and Boxes are typically best left for spiecies only tanks. Hopefully this helps.

toni

We have a 75 with only 4 fish in it currently: 2 clowns, a blue hippo and a blue damsel, and the lfs has told us he would put no more than 8 in it, (which I think is too many) Our fish each have their own little areas in the tank. I would guess with 10 fish it's harder for each of them to have their own little area, regardless of size even. I agree with benj2112, this may be contributing to the problem. I don't mean to flame you. It's easy to get addicted and wanting to continuously add more fish, I know I am very eager to add more. If you want more life in the tank I would suggest some corals instead of more fish. Sometimes it's more appealing to look at the little things moving in the tank that you don't see right away. For example Xenias (have a pumping motion). Good Luck with resolving the problems, I hope you are able to spare your remaining fish!