Mysterious Gelatinous glob

pumper7

I recently purchased my first tank (125 gal.) and have started the cycling process with a 50/50 mix of live sand/ crushed coral (80 lbs total) and I have started adding rock (20 lbs base rock and 15 live). The base rock was put in the tank on day 1 and has these opaque white globs growing. I haven’t seen them on the live rock or anything else. Are they good/ bad/ normal?
5 days into the process with these numbers.
pH 8.0
Salinity 1.022
Temp 80.1
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrate 0.25
Nitrite 0.25

airforceb2

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Can you get a picture of it by any chance?

Where are my manners!?!?!?!

Welcome to the boards!!

misty7850

Welcome to the boards,

I probably won't know what they are anywho, but please do post picture if you can (500 x 500 or smaller to post).. or can upload to photobucket) it always helps, better to identify.. if you can't post picture, can you describe in more detail ?

pumper7

Ok, first off thanks for the welcome. The cameara didn't like taking pictures through the tank and water but I think the pictures show these globs ok. They are more opaque looking than the photos show though. They look smooth with round edges anywhere from 1/4 to 2 inches in length and width.

pumper7

Sweet...... I just thought it was funny that my base rock was growing better than my live rock.

S

sinner's girl

Why did you mix ls and cc? I just read that someone else did that and I can't for the life of me understand why.

J

jdragunas

WELCOME!!!
I'd have to agree with sinnergirl, though about mixing LS and CC. Eventually, the CC will work it's way to the top, so all you'll have is the CC, with no trace of the sand. :thinking:
Other than that, looks like a pretty good cycle.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

Jenn

pumper7

Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
Why did you mix ls and cc? I just read that someone else did that and I can't for the life of me understand why.

3 words LOCAL FISH STORE

J

jdragunas

lol... rule # 1 of having a saltwater tank... never trust the LFS! lol.
If they tell you something, immediately post it here, and SWF.com will help you out!
Jenn

1journeyman

You really might think about removing the CC now... it will save you trouble later.
Welcome!! Hope you learn as much around here as I have.

S

sinner's girl

I'd remove the CC. Then just add regular sand (non 'live' sand) your live sand will seed the other sand and the all your sand will be live in time. (that'll save you some money.)