Mystery Sand Circles?

reefman22

Well i woke up this morning and took a look at my tank and too my surprise there were lines in the sandbed. it looks like someone took their finger and made an "S" in the sand. on the opposite side of the tank there is another mark but smaller and in the center of the tank (still in the sand) there is a wider mark. I have no sand sifting anythings and the only things in the tank right now are 3 chromises, a skunk cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, some hermits, and some snails. whats making these trails?

reefman22

wow i feel kinda dumb now...at first i thought it might be snails but at the end of the trails there arent any snails. they just kinda stop. did the snail jump?
reefman

anubisxero

Originally Posted by Reefman22
http:///forum/post/2634357
wow i feel kinda dumb now...at first i thought it might be snails but at the end of the trails there arent any snails. they just kinda stop. did the snail jump?
reefman
Well if your snails are nassarius or cerith snails then if you fall your snail trails and find where they stop and go digging for a little buried treasure, you'll find the snail trail culprits! They bury themselves when they aren't foraging for food. Quite interesting if you ask me! :D
Enjoy your reefing!
Jason

reefman22

ok thanks guys. wanted to make sure there wasnt some sea snake living under my sand haha. i feel better now.
reefman

perfectdark

Bristle worm extending out of the LR but not totally getting what it wants and then retracting back in would leave a mark like that. Unless the mark was no where near a piece of LR, then I agree snail.

nvsbandit

yup...sasquatch. hes even worse than a snail. really really really REALLY hard to catch.
jk tho sounds like a snail to me as well.

reefman22

yea i was thinkin sasquatch too but i didnt know how common of hitchikers they are. ill keep lookin for him. lol
reefman