mystery wrasse is mystery

tboy

just bought a mystery wrasse for $200 and introducing into my tank
the first week it always hiding unless feeding time
2 weed it start to come out more but all the other fish in the tank will go after it
especially my six-line wrasse wont let go of him
it was doing fine after the 3rd week except for six-line chasing it aroung a little bit
at the end of the 3rd week it just disappear and mystery
there go my $200 is mystery too
can anyone explain to me where it go?
the last time that i notice is very healthy and nothing wrong with it

poniegirl

Looks like a lunare wrasse. 200.00? Where are you?
If he is bothered he will hide. How long since you have seen him? They are known to jump, is your tank well covered?

lauras

No, that is a Mystery Wrasse, I have my eye on one now at the lfs and they are 200.00 fish. Problem is you can't mix these wrasse's with other wrasse.
The sixline was dominant and most likely stressed it to death or killed it outright.

lauras

Also a Lunare wrasse is not really reef safe they can mess things up and they get really big!! The Mystery is reef safe and stays fairly small. I'm not trying to flame anyone but that is one costly mistake when a check on compatabilty would have saved the heartbreak. Didn't you realize something was wrong when the sixline was beating it up?

lauras

PonieGirl, look on this site for a full picture this is one lovely, rare fish. You are sure to appreciate.
But this post makes me want to cry

candycane

It's probably your 6 line. May have harassed him to death. 6-Lines are cool and all that, but I have seen the same problem with them time and time again. Basslets, Dottybacks, other wrasses - 6-lines will just go KOO-KOO if they are placed in the same tank with them. I had a 6 line kill my gramma, a friend had a 6 line kill his scarlet pin stripe, I know another guy whos 6 line literally tried to EAT his Neon Dottyback. They are supposed to be relatively peacefull. Outside of that of course. If a fish is getting chased all the time, you might as well take it out of your tank, add two tennis balls and juggle it a few times a day. There is no difference in stress to a fish, it all has the same effect.

tboy

thanks you all
there is nothing here i could do but learn a lesson that i should do a lot more research when i want to add new specie in to the tank.
it suck when i couldn't find it any more but it is over

tboy

1000% sure is my six-line now because after my mystery wrasse
my six-line now is after my mandarin
he beat the hell out of my mandarin and now i have to get my mandarin out to a different tank.
what just have done to my six-line
y all suddenly it turn into evil?

dogstar

The mystery and six line are of the same genus, Pseudocheilinus, but the mystery is a much more peaceful and shy. Not a good idea to mix wrasse of this species.

tboy

Originally Posted by teen
anybody know the minimun tank size for a mystery wrasse? and how big will he get?
30g
about 5inch

tboy

hey every body
i have a very surprise for every one iclude my self
i have found my mystery wrasse
he jump into my refuguim
the question is
what should i do?
i can't get my six-line out of the tank
i have a 29g which i don't really want to put him in because i don't really use much and also the top is off
what should i do?

S

sea_star

If he was harassed enough, he was probably desperate to get away. I've had that problem before with a fish ending up in the overflow.

grilai

Wow!! Tboy I've been foolowing your sad story since day one. I'm happy you found your mystery wrasse. good luck getting the six-line o
ut.