Mystery Wrasse

bigred

Well I guess they aren't shrimp friendly. I just added some Peppermint Shrimp and he found them. I watched him eat this one.

stanlalee

Mystery wrasse are always listed as reef safe or monitor yet anybody who I have ever heard add one or shrimp to a tank with one has stated the shrimp were dinner within the 1rst few hours. Nobody ever cares because the its a $200 fish and the shrimp are usually $5-$30. They arent an aggressive species though. most wrasse will eat shrimp if it fits in their mouth.
Cool pics BTW!

S

surfinusa

thats cool your lucky you have a mystery wrasse ive always wanted one someday, some day

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Bigred
He's gone to a bigger fish only tank now.

how come he went bye bye? $200 for a fish u just ended up tradin?

battosai

I have a Mystery myself, And trust me when I tell you He's not Shrimp friendly. I had a Lightning Wrasse in the beginning that left my shrimp alone, once I introduced the Mystery they teamed up to eat 3 Cleaners, 2 Blood, and 2 Peppermint Shrimp. I Actually saw the Mystery go after my small gobies, and catch a couple of them. They are very good night hunters, and even though the Lightning Wrasse became Super Male because of the introduction of the Mystery. The Mystery is very aggressive towards Him.

bigred

He didn't cost me $200, I have a connection. I'm trading him for some other wrasses but haven't figured out which ones I want yet.

cjml

Beautiful fish-but yes bigger wrasses will eat shrimp-but they are still great fish-you just have to decide if thats wht you want-its not the wrasses fault that they eat shrimp-know that before you buy a wrasse. The smaller wrasses are less apt to eat shrimp and other crustaceons. Just research wrasses. Her is a picture of my beautiful "sweet" Coris and my hungry Coris ready for a meal!!