Nano 24 Dual Returns.

stevedave08

Ok, I currently have the stock pump in my 24 which is rated at 290 gph. If you're looking at the tank from the front, the single retuurn is on the top right of the tank pointing forward and slightly downward. I also have a Koralia nano on the top left hand side glass (all the way back, in front of the overflow), pointing across the tank from left to right. I bought some loc-line modular hose and two new return nozzles. I'm waiting for my media basket to come in before I swap out the old and put in my new creation, but I started wondering if the stock pump was going to be too weak since the new hoses and nozzles are 1/2". I was thinking of maybe a maxi-jet 600 or 900 for replacement if necessary. What do you think?%%
Also, I went this route of making my own returns because I couldn't find any ready made ones for the jbj 24. I have to glue my Y fitting to the return line because the Y is a bit bigger (1/2") and won't snap on like the stock return nozzle. My local reefer told me to use krazy glue gel to glue/seal it.

spanko

IMO get the RIO 6hf. More GPH and less wattage = less heat than the maxijets.
Maxi-Jet 1200
•V/Hz: 120V/60Hz
•Wattage: 20W
•Max Flow: 295gph
•Max Pumping Height: 69"
•Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H
•About $20.00
Maxi-jet 900
•Wattage: 8.5W
•Max Flow: 230gph
•Max Pumping Height: 46"
•About $30.00
Rio 6HF
•Wattage: 15W
•Max Flow: 350gph
•Max Pumping Height: 72"
•Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H
•About $30.00
Rio 8HF
•Wattage: 30W
•Max Flow: 550gph
•Max Pumping Height: 78"
•Dimensions: 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"
•About $32.00

stevedave08

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3212522
IMO get the RIO 6hf. More GPH and less wattage = less heat than the maxijets.
Maxi-Jet 1200
•Wattage: 20W
•Max Flow: 295gph
•Max Pumping Height: 69"
•About $20.00
Maxi-jet 900
•Wattage: 8.5W
•Max Flow: 230gph
•Max Pumping Height: 46"
•About $30.00
Rio 6HF
•Wattage: 15W
•Max Flow: 350gph
•Max Pumping Height: 72"
•Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H
•About $30.00
Rio 8HF
•Wattage: 30W
•Max Flow: 550gph
•Max Pumping Height: 78"
•Dimensions: 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"
•About $32.00
You are the man, sir. I completely spaced on the RIO's and just went with the default "maxi-jet pumps are alright".
Do you think I should remove the nano since I'll have the two returns and free up some in tank space or keep it? I was thinking maybe putting it in the back, behind the rocks, at either middle or lower level shooting from left to right. Random rant on Koralia nano: I hate that you can't really angle them like the bigger ph's. They just pop into the little holder and you can't move them much after that.

spanko

IMO the K-nano is probably providing much needed additional flow in the tank. Remeber there are multiple reasons for in tank flow and normally the return pumps just can meet the needs. Coral, depending on which type you are keeping, require flow for things like bringing food to them, keeping detritus from accumulating on them, helping to shed dead tissue from them. It serves to keep detritus suspended for removal from the system by our filters. It helps to direct any adverse chemical warfare materials back to our filters away from other coral.
And fishies like to play in it!!

stevedave08

http:///forum/post/3212530
IMO the K-nano is probably providing much needed additional flow in the tank. Remeber there are multiple reasons for in tank flow and normally the return pumps just can meet the needs. Coral, depending on which type you are keeping, require flow for things like bringing food to them, keeping detritus from accumulating on them, helping to shed dead tissue from them. It serves to keep detritus suspended for removal from the system by our filters. It helps to direct any adverse chemical warfare materials back to our filters away from other coral.
And fishies like to play in it!!
Yea, I didn't want to take it away from them.

stevedave08

Bump. Does anyone have any experience doing the DIY dual returns or pics of your conversions? Any info you'd like to share?

stevedave08

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3213557
nope,,, but have you gone to HD or Lowes and see if they have a 1/4 to 1/2 grey pipe to do the conversions....
Hmmm. I have not done this, because I am stupid. I'll check today since I have to pick up some egg crate. It would be called just that? Grey pipe for conversion? The original in the tank is a 1/4" then for sure? Thanks.

spanko

The grey pipe I believe is the stuff used on sprinkler systems. Don/t you have some lockline as that will work just fine.

stevedave08

http:///forum/post/3213574
The grey pipe I believe is the stuff used on sprinkler systems. Don/t you have some lockline as that will work just fine.
Yeah, I have the loc line. I actually have the dual returns assembled, now I just have to glue the y in place onto the stock return line which is smaller than the 1/2" size of the loc line y fitting. I thought triggers was refering to some sort of pipe I could use to fit the y onto the stock line without having to glue (screw on? snap on?) and just sealing it.

stevedave08

OK, so I popped off the existing return and was able to just pop on the new Y fitting with dual returns. They were actually the same size. I put in the RIO 6hf as well. Now the problem I have is that the flow from the nozzles is very weak. :(

stevedave08

I don't want to change the nozzles again though. Should I just get a bigger pump or do you think the pump I have is just not working as it should?

spanko

The Rio 6hf should be a lot stonger flow than the stock pump. So you have the single bulkhead coming from the back chamber going to the display. On the display side you affixed a Locline "Y" connector directly to the bulkhead. Then you put on some amount of locline pcs. with the fan shaped pcs. on the end. Is that correct?
I would put the sotck pump on to the configuration you have and see if the flow is weaker or stronger than the Rio. If the stock pump is stronger then something is wrong with the Rio pumop or the way you are attaching it.

stevedave08

http:///forum/post/3218514
The Rio 6hf should be a lot stonger flow than the stock pump. So you have the single bulkhead coming from the back chamber going to the display. On the display side you affixed a Locline "Y" connector directly to the bulkhead. Then you put on some amount of locline pcs. with the fan shaped pcs. on the end. Is that correct?
I would put the sotck pump on to the configuration you have and see if the flow is weaker or stronger than the Rio. If the stock pump is stronger then something is wrong with the Rio pumop or the way you are attaching it.
OK, I'll check when I get home later. I have to add 2 things though. I put the same hose that was on the stock pump onto the rio. It was slightly smaller (not by much) so I just put the end in hot water and stretched it on around the opening on the rio. The other thing is I didn't attach the rio to anything down in the chamber. It's just sitting on the bottom of the chamber. Would Either of these things factor into the low flow? The only thing I can come up with if it's none of these issues is that the loc-line tubing is too big and not enough pressure/power is built up to blow the water out of the nozzles forcefully. What do you think?

spanko

The fact that you had to soften the hose to get it on the Rio should not have an significant affect on the output. In fact the smaller diameter would increase velocity at the outputs like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose to reduce the opening.
The pump should just sit in the bottom of the chamber, no worries there.
What size locline did you use? How long is it on both sides away from the "Y" connector?If you take the locline off, how is the pressure coming directly out of the "Y" connector?

stevedave08

http:///forum/post/3218525
The fact that you had to soften the hose to get it on the Rio should not have an significant affect on the output. In fact the smaller diameter would increase velocity at the outputs like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose to reduce the opening.
The pump should just sit in the bottom of the chamber, no worries there.
What size locline did you use? How long is it on both sides away from the "Y" connector?If you take the locline off, how is the pressure coming directly out of the "Y" connector?
Yeah, I figured the smaller diameter would increase flow and then i got the shaft from the flow fairy...that sounds horrible...lol. Anyway, I think the issue is going to be the pump itself is defective (I doubt it) or the size of the Loc-Line. It's 1/2", but I think it may be too long. I might have to shorten it a bit.