nano cube temp to high

reefer123

i have a 12 gallon jbj nano cube dx and the temp goes all the way up to 89-90 degrees.
my hammer corals closed up, too.
then at night the temp is around 78-80 degrees.
so how can i keep it at a stable temp?
:help: :help: :help:

What do you have in the tank as far as pump etc?
If you haven't upgraded the pump, do so ASAP, it has been known to lower the water temp 2 - 4 Degrees.
Do both fans work? Try leaving the feeding flap open during "Lights on time".
If all else fails, get an ICA

partsman

i also had the same problem with my jbj . most of my reason was i did upgrade my pump and they all generate heat - especially a maxi jet 900 . what i did is like eclipseagent - open my feeding lid to release some heat - especially at night when the lights are off.
i also took a step forward and after calling jbj - found that there is a potential heat build up problem if your water level is to high - thus not allowing enough surface to light area. heat can't escape and becomes trapped inside.
if your water level is above the lower black top moulding try lowering it a bit - give the air at least one inch of clearance between the surface and the clear splash shield .
if that doesn't work - check the output of both fans . also remember the cooling fans don't run unless the lights are on also . i've noticed a big rise in temp after leaving the lights off at night because of my pump and nowhere for the heat to escape.
i also went another step - being anal as i am .............lol
i cut two 2 inch holes directly in front of the cooling fan motors through the clear splash shields with a hole saw - this allows all the surface air to be pulled directly to the fans and out of the tank.
not exactly a real easy thing to do because it required a drill and hole saw kit.
this worked so well that i now see my heater actually see my heater working steadly.
peace of mind .
easier fix - put a small table fan next to the tank with the lid up and blow the cool air into or across the surface of the water.
during hurricane katrina i was forced to use the fan due to no power here for over 10 days . thank god i waas a good eagle scout in my younger days and was prepared with a generator.
good luck reefer.
mb.

jacksdad

Check to make sure the fans are coming on. It seems like the temp increase is coinciding with the light cycle. You may also want to add a DC convertor to your fans. That helped me tremendously and it really is not hard to do. Now my fans run independent of my lights. Temperature fluxuations of what you talking about will kill everything in your tank so you need to do something ASAP!
The other thing I would tell you to check is your thermometer, it may not be working correctly, but the situation you describe leads me to believe it is something else.
Good luck,
Bob

ygdljrm

Wish I had seen this a week ago. O have had my 25g nano for almost a year and lost my clowns, emerald crad, green shrimps, fire shrimp, and feather duster when the temp shoot up over 84F. My child had dropped my digital thermometer and I had not been able to get a replacement. When I changed out water I had a little more salt water still in jug and I overfilled. Got up next day and shrimp and crabs were dead. Installed a new dig ther and it showed 84 degrees. Turned off lights whole day and it hardly dropped. Thought heater had to be defective and I replaced it. When temp still wouldnt drop I thought Dig Thm had to be dedective and I purchased one with high/low temp alarms. Only problem was one thm showed 78 and the other showed 81 even though both probes were side by side in tank. Bought a pool thm and it showed 76. I changed water again and didn't fill as high and the temp is now at 78 and holding.