Nano Cube vs. Aquapod

bluegirl

Hi all! I'm new to this hobby! Hubby is buying me a 24g tank for xmas. I get to choose it, just wondering what you guys recommend. I'm planning on doing ls and lr, and possibly getting a nano skimmer. Oh, and is the eclipse tank an option with a bio-wheel? I want to stock with a percula clown, a goby of some sort or a gramma. I've been reading the boards for awhile doing the research necessary to getting started. The guy at the lfs told me I could put a yellow tang in the tank, but I've read on the boards that the need tanks at least 30g, so I'll steer clear of that one. I'm excited and can't wait to get my tank and get it cycling. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. :happyfish
Thanks,
Becka

jhebi

Some of LFs don't really care about your tank, they are just there to seel you something....I believe that they would even tell you that you could put a shark in a 24....
Don't listen to them and since you are new to this hobby, Welcome aboard and also read, and read a lot so you can have the knowledge before you start your new hobby....
Good Luck and keep us posted.....
:jumping:

birdy

Welcome to the board,
I would not recommend a eclipse tank, they really limit your options for lighting and filtration.
I would actually advise you to not get one of those pre-fab type systems.
Get a 24 or 30 cube and get your own equipment and lighting, you will get much better equipment for the money IMO.

salty tank

I think you should look for a 30 gallon tank with an overflow. No nano cubes. Get a stand that can fit a small sump in the bottom and put the skimmer down there. THe bigger the sump, the better.

devilboy

Originally Posted by bluegirl
The guy at the lfs told me I could put a yellow tang in the tank, but I've read on the boards that the need tanks at least 30g
Thanks,
Becka
yes he totally informed you wrong with the tang. i dont know where you read about the tang needs a 30g. imo, i wouldnt put a tang in anything smaller then a 75g, and some ppl suggest a 90g or larger.

bluegirl

Thanks for the info! I don't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my fish or tank. Glad you guys are there to help me out with all my newbie concerns. :joy:

yimmy

I'm a newb as well and 14, a store around me the sell nano cubes a lot....they say they're awful though and they rip everything out and put power heads and what not in it, don't buy the cube and that's it because the hood limits you too lighting and equiptment, trust me I was thinking about one and now I ordered a 95 gallon tank.
Good Luck
Jimmy

1journeyman

bluegirl, welcome to the boards!
Tangs need lot's of swimming room. good call on not listening to lfs. A couple of great books you might invest in "A Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner and "A guide to Marine Fish" by Michael.
Can't help ya on nano tanks too much, except to say that you'll get addicted quick! Also, skimmers are an excellent investment, whatever the size tank.