Nano Mods

reef diver

I haven't been here in a while, however I recently set up a 12 gallon Nano-Cube for a mantis, which is the species pictured at right. However along the way, I learned quite a few things about modding Nano-Cubes and just general nano tank DIY projects. Here I will post links to websites forums etc that many of us may find useful.
An online store that sells many useful modifications to Nano-Cubes, and just nano tanks in general.
nanotuners.com
Extra Flow Modification For Nano-Cubes
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...threadid=666027
Waterbottle skimmer(Link Fixed)
A skimmer specifically designed for nano cubes
Thats all I have for now feel free to add to this list!

R

rattler739

My work has all of those sites blocked so i will have to look at them this weekend, but thanks i keep forgetting the websites when i am on the computer elsewhere

gharner

im very interested in looking at the diy water bottle skimmer, but the link took me to reef centrals web site and from there i have no idea where to go to look for it?

reef diver

On that note read the whole thread for the waterbottle skimmer, because it detail certain small modifications you need, as well as the fact that it works great just it didnt during her orig test.

gharner

wow, i just read the diy skimmer thread and it looks good. do you have one in your tank, or have you ever made one? im leaving for vacation tomorrow but when i get home i think im gonna mess around and try to make one.

gharner

ok, now i have a new problem with the water bottle skimmer. i have a 12 gallon aquapod and i have the stock lighting. that means i have a hood on the tank. the second water bottle that collects the skimate would not fit under the hood because the hood is only like 1 inch away from the water's surface.
i think that later im getting sunpod lights so that would fix the problem cause i would get rid of the hood. i might not get those lights for a while though and i wanted to start to skim my tank. is there any way to do it with the hood on the tank?

reef diver

Im trying to au naturale on my nano, lol. I was thinking of it for my larger 55, as a supplement to my other skimmer. However I am saving up for extra food for my mantis.

reef diver

As for the size problem, just use a smaller bottle, but with the same diameter cap, it will work fine, you just would need to adjust the skimmer slightly and empty it often. Remember you MUST have an air hole, as well as a hole to dump the skimmate. I would reccomend adding a permanent drainage to it w/ airline siliconed inside the collection cup and th rest going out to a small container. This will make things much easier, as you cannot separate the bottles or you will lose your skimmate.

reef diver

remember if you make a mini version, scale it if possible, to avoid having to completely figure out calibrations etc.