nano newb =)

thejdshow

I have had a 55 gallon for almost 2 years now and I want to condense to a nano as I am in college and space is pretty limited. Basicly just trying to get some opinions on which nano's people have had the most success with.
As of right now I am looking at the 24 gal aquapod with 150W HQI Metal Halide System.
Any tips / input will greatly help.
TIA
- JD

jacksonpt

I've been pretty happy with my aquapod (mine is a 12g though). There are a few things you can do to make them better than stock, but they are nice systems right out of the box. My biggest complaint is that they are acrylic, and acryilc scratches too easily (I have 2 young kids).
Let me know if you have any specific questions about the aquapods.

thejdshow

Well im also pretty new with MH lighting. I would suspect I could keep some hard corals under 150 Watts of MH lighting in a 24 gal tank???

chull13

The only thing that you will have to worry about with that lighting system on that tank is too much light for low light corals. Keep them towards the bottom. Are you going to have an open top?

richarl5

Originally Posted by chull13
The only thing that you will have to worry about with that lighting system on that tank is too much light for low light corals. Keep them towards the bottom. Are you going to have an open top?

I'm considering transfering my 15 gallon to this same system soon and was curious if you could have the 150 w MH with a closed top (the site I was looking at didn't say)? :notsure:
would that be a possible fire hazard?

jacksonpt

Edited because I misread the post...
You can definitely have a halide in a closed top - just make sure there is space between the bulb and the water and the canopy. Also make sure there is good airflow in/out of the hood to keep temps stable.

thejdshow

i dont beleive he was reffering to the circulation, i beleive he was talking about a way to have a closed top as apposed to it just being left open making it hard to keep your firefish(they are jumpers) =)

thejdshow

24 Gallon, 150W HQI Metal Halide System - Includes: Surface skimming filtration system, 1-14000°K HQI Metal Halide light, 6 blue and 6 white LED lights, cooling fan, mechanical sponge filter, 290 gph submersible pump with flat nozzle, and complete instructions.
That is the system I am planning on getting. What kind of color would 14000°K give me. Would it be to yellowish?

thejdshow

Now im debating on sticking with the 64 watts of PC lighting. Not sure of its worth the risk of losing fish from jumping / water evaperation / the physical appearance of the tank looking better just to keep some hard corals. grrrr. not to mention it could save me some $$. what do you guys think?