Nano Newbie

happyvac

Hi. After a little thought, I decided to go with a small FOWLR. Now, my question is, would I be able to keep a Percula clown in a 12g? Also, could I have a recommended cleaning crew? In addition to this, is there any reason to pick the JBJ/Aquapod 12g over, say, the Eclipse 12g? (For FOWLR, no fancy corals) On the other hand, with a JBJ 12g Normal could I keep any corals?
Sorry for the questions, this is just so interesting

-Vac

happyvac

With the stuff the cube comes with, or with modified filters and such? Also, would a Percula in a 12g be pushing the load of the filter of the 12g JBJ? I want it to be reasonably easy to maintain.

scsinet

One could argue that no nano system is "easy" to maintain, but let me tell you what I have in mine:
(1) False Percula Clown
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby
(1) Carib Pistol Shrimp
(1) Emerald Crab
(1) Coral Banded Shrimp
(1) Decorator Crab
A few hermits and turbos.
Plus some corals.
I'd say I've pushed the limits of what can be stocked in there but my readings remain stable and everything stays healthy. I have 15 lbs of LR in the system and a 2" bed of Aragalive. I run the filters with the sponges only, but I am looking to put a skimmer on the system sooner than later. I do not run the ceramic rings, carbon, or bio-balls. With this must bioload, weekly water changes are not optional.
I also noticed you asked about a cleaning crew. Mine consists of something in the order of a dozen blueleg hermit crabs (.5-1"), about 5 large turbo snails and 10 small ones. They do a great job.
...and no, my system is stock. I have not modified it in any way. It's a JBG 12 DX

ross

In my 12g DX i have 2 true percs and a cleaner shrimp, along with a couple hermits and snails,

happyvac

So daily is impossible?
And what equipment would be needed besides a 12g nano cube (normal) 16 lbs. of live rock, 16 or so lbs. of live sand, a heater, that small skimmer that's coming out, testing stuff and livestock?
Totalled up it's under $300...am I forgetting something? :notsure:

bigarn

IMO you don't need a skimmer for that size tank ... it's up to you though. I'd get a couple of powerheads for good water circulation also.

happyvac

Two of the smallest size powerheads...(i.e. Maxi-Jet?)
I've hears about custom cutting a cassette-container and placing it in front of the intake. How about that? And to anyone who has cured "Pre-Cured" live rock...is the stench terrible? I plan on keeping this in my room.
Thanks to all who've been answering my questions

tinyreef

Originally Posted by HappyVac
Two of the smallest size powerheads...(i.e. Maxi-Jet?)
try microjets or minijets. my pers pref are the microjets.

all deligh

For your protein skimmer. I'd get the nano skimmer. Its a overflow box that attaches the in inlet for the filter. Cost me $10 or so. Awesome piece. Keeps the service nice and clean. I dont use the bio balls, or ceramic rings, or the carbon they supplied. I bought chemi pure carbon and broke apart a small piece of live rock into 4 smaller pieces and put it on top of the carbon in the back. Its does wonders for my bio.

happyvac

Originally Posted by All Deligh
For your protein skimmer. I'd get the nano skimmer. Its a overflow box that attaches the in inlet for the filter. Cost me $10 or so. Awesome piece. Keeps the service nice and clean. I dont use the bio balls, or ceramic rings, or the carbon they supplied. I bought chemi pure carbon and broke apart a small piece of live rock into 4 smaller pieces and put it on top of the carbon in the back. Its does wonders for my bio.
Seems like the skimmer would be easy to make, though.
All corals out under normal nano lighting? And would a QT tank be necessary for only adding one fish after a couple of crabs/snails/possibly a shrimp?