Nano on the Night Stand

stang393

I just built a 15gal that's going to be my first Nano Reef.
My question is...
Setup is a Skilter 250 and a Fluval 3 Submersable filter, 2 in LS, and 10 Lbs LR.
It's on my night stand and is quite noisy.
Can I shut off the Skilter and leave on the Fluval during the night...Or will there not be enough Oxygen?
The Current created by the Fluval is very strong, I wouldn't even mind getting a powerhead...
What do you all think?

overanalyzer

I would put it on a timer so it would be regular - also is it self starting or do you haqve to prime it every time it starts???

sw65galma

Both are self starting, including the skimmer
I was just scared that 8hrs of no air bubbles from the skimmer would cause a low oxygen level..

overanalyzer

air bubbles alone don't add oxygen - movement along your water surface does - more so than air bubbles. So if your nano's water is moving along the top then it will. Of course you may also throw off your PH level's some.
What is in your tank??

sw65galma

Originally posted by overanalyzer
air bubbles alone don't add oxygen - movement along your water surface does - more so than air bubbles. So if your nano's water is moving along the top then it will. Of course you may also throw off your PH level's some.
What is in your tank??

As of now..just a Rock anenome.

overanalyzer

I'd try to get some xenia in there - though it grows like a weed it also helps monitor your PH balance. So you could tell rather quickly if your PH was getting out of whack by how your xenia responded.
I'd say get a stalk from someone - they are essentially weeds.
Run everything as normal until the xenia is out and looking good.
Then set your stuff up on a timer and turn off hte pump @ night.
DILR examine on your xenia (Does It Look Right?)
Should not take more than a week.