Nano Predator tank Updates

jackneef

I recently finished my nano predator tank and thought I would share a post about it incase anyone els is interested.
Contents
Small fuzzy dwarf lionfish
Small valentine puffer
Stonefish (yes a real one bottom right see how that rock sorta looks like an eye mouth and fin?)
Blue reef chromis

Build
20 gallon tank and stand
T5 HO quad 24inch fixture with reef leds
HOB filter with carbon and bio wheel needle type filter
UV sterilizer with built in power head
3 gallon weekly water changes using water change water from my other tanks

The tank has been up and running for about 3 months (picture from month two)
So far has been a really cool project. I started out with two chomis for cycling a large one and a small one (small one since eaten by stonefish) with about 20 lbs of sand and live rock and started using discard water from my established 40 nano reef.
Once proven to be safe I started shopping for fish and decided early on I wanted a predator FOWLR due to ease of care and general hardiness.
Valentino puffer and lion went in first (both confirmed eating Mysis) had issues with fuzzy dwarfs starving to death so only buy if you see them eat prepared foods
Found the stonefish at The Inland Reef and bought on an impulse,
Things to consider if building a system like this
Its is VERY DANGEROUS to reach your hand into the system, the lionfish will send you to the ER (especially if you have confirmed allergys to other things that sting BEEs and Jellyfish ext... so common sense goes along way, I don't ever go near it without a spotter. The lionfish is smart and knows that I am the one who feeds him so he doesn't shy away like you've heard they can become very interested in what your doing.
The stonefish is technically lethally toxic but not that dangerous, in this system i'm more worried about the lion then him. His bite isn't poisonous and the spines along his back are about the only way he can hurt you, they aren't used aggressively and the people who get hurt, step on them, they go through the boot and since your compressing the venom gland injecting yourself with ALOT of stuff called "neurotoxin" good stuff known to fatal to adults and if your someplace they don't have the anti-venom IE ANYWHERE OTHER THEN THE WEST COAST OF AUSTRIALIA it might not end well.

So hope this is helpful and if you have any questions comments feel free to post

jackneef

Updates due to the algea problem having to purchase a long spines sea urchin, all other CUC in these tanks tend to get picked at and eaten by the puffer.