Nano Refugium

blb9

Has anyone here installed a refugium on a nano cube or aquapod? I will show you mine when I get pics.

mopar9012

I dont have a cube or anything like that.
I have a 29 gallon just a regular one that you can get at walmart.
I wanted a refugium but im not sure to go about that. Its not drilled.
How did you do it?

krishj39

I don't have one, but I'm definately interested! I've got a 12g aquapod that I haven't set up yet. Please do post pics once you've got them! Can you explain how you are planning on doing it?

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by mopar9012
I dont have a cube or anything like that.
I have a 29 gallon just a regular one that you can get at walmart.
I wanted a refugium but im not sure to go about that. Its not drilled.
How did you do it?
I have a standard non-drilled 29-gallon like you, and I have a 10-gallon sump/fuge underneath it. My friend set it up for me.
I have an overflow that runs into the sump and a pump that brings the water back up into a PVC pipe that's a spray bar.

blb9

When I first saw plans for a refugium in the back of a nano cube, people modded small lights in the hood, so the light same from on top. I really wanted a refugium after my last nano attempt was overun with nusience algea. However, I did not really want to put the time or money in to modding lights in the hood.
A peron at my local fish store told me that the black part of the nano's back is not actually plastic, but glass covered in black tape. He said he put his live rock rubble in and made intricate designs visible.
I decided to try using a standard 40-watt 2700-k light clamped on to the tank and shining through the side. After dumping in less than a handfull of caulerpa, and a piece of sponge that came with the tank to hold it in place, I waited to see what happened. With these weak lights on for about 15 hours a day, I was not expecting much. Now, at four weeks later, the caulerpa has more than dougled its size, and my nitrates have dropped.

Here are pics-

blb9

To get the edge of the tape that straight, use a ruler and a razor blade to cut a square out. Then just peel it off.

10goffury

I have a standard 10 gallon tank and i built a cryptic refugium for it out of PVC for it. I have a minijet606 in my tank and ran tubing down to the bottom of the pvc and water flows up through about 2lbs of live rock and back into my tank.
I got the plans for it from the TalkingReef podcast.

rad

does a refugium allow you to add more fish since it increases your water volume? I was thinking about starting a thread to ask that question but why waste bandwidth? Nice work though. I may be asking more questions shortly. sweet pics.

krishj39

Rad, this kind of refugium doesn't add any more water volume, it just converts the chamber in the back that is for filtration to also work as a refugium.
Even still, I don't think a refugium that did add water volume would really let you add more fish in a 12g. Even the small fish we put in something this small need a certain amount of personal space. Sure, the refugium would give you a little more security as far as water quality, but IMO, it's really the amount of physical space you are cramming the fish into that is the issue with these nano tanks.

zjhoward

Can you not just put caulerpa or chaeto in the main part of the tank? Is the light to strong or the flow too rough maybe? That is what I want to do.

rad

Originally Posted by krishj39
Rad, this kind of refugium doesn't add any more water volume, it just converts the chamber in the back that is for filtration to also work as a refugium.
Even still, I don't think a refugium that did add water volume would really let you add more fish in a 12g. Even the small fish we put in something this small need a certain amount of personal space. Sure, the refugium would give you a little more security as far as water quality, but IMO, it's really the amount of physical space you are cramming the fish into that is the issue with these nano tanks.
^Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Makes sense. I was told earlier that four fish would be too many for a 12g and that generally its one inch of fish per five gallons of water pretty much. So I figured if I added more water that I could increase my number of fish in the tank. but I am clearly wrong. my bad for not knowing more about refugiums, I just figured I never needed one so I never did research on one. But thanks alot for the response.

krishj39

Originally Posted by zjhoward
Can you not just put caulerpa or chaeto in the main part of the tank? Is the light to strong or the flow too rough maybe? That is what I want to do.
You certainly can put macro algae in your display tank. The algae will live just fine, but there are a number of reasons why many choose not to. The first is that many different animals will eat the algae (fish, snails, etc). Alternatively, the most commonly used macro algaes will quickly take over the tank. We in the hobby use the hardiest and fastest growing algaes which also means that you will have to be careful to keep up with regular trimmings and "weeding." But, some might like the way a tank full of macro-algae looks in which case, go for it.

chull13

THis is the exact thread that I needed. I have been contemplating on how I could add a refugium to my 12 gal JBJ nano without attempting to drill the back of the tank and without modifying the hood anyore than I already have. I am going to have to try this. Did you convert the middle chamber into a refugium? Thanks for the idea!!!

zjhoward

I have really bad green algae in my tank, so I bought some caulerpa. Do you guys think it will help get rid of it? If not, what will? I know to turn my white lights down, but the thing is that they are already only on for like 5 hours/day, with my actinics on for like 8. Any ideas?

chull13

Usually algae is a sign of phosphates. That should help out with the problem. Also they make phosphate remover that you can run in your sump for a few days. I think cheato or calupera is a good antidote for this problem though.