nano tank help

birdy

I don't think a 55 is considered a nano, usually 20gal and below is considered a nano. Although compared to a 210 I guess a 55 would seem like a nano LOL, but to answer your question, I have talked to a lot of people who think tanks in the 55gal range are the easiest to care for, even easier than the larger tanks.
What are your plans for the new tank?

k8eydid

I too am new to the hobby and recently set up a "mini" reef tank. We have 55 gal with...
fluval 404 cannister filter
undergravel filter with 2 oscillating powerheads
we set up 2nd week of Jan and finished cycling last week. We have about 3" cc base and added about 18 # of LR. Kept a close eye on all the water parameters and once the diatoms (brown aglea) showed up we knew we were almost ready. Gave it another week and added...
20+ green/pink mushroom polyps (already starting to split) on 2 small pieces of LR (which developed about 6 baby feather dusters in 2 weeks - two of them are red - cool!)
gave it one more week and added...
3 blue damsels
1 coral banded shrimp
10 turbo snails
they all survived for 36 hours, water parameters were steady so we then added...
4" sebae anemone and 2" sebae clown
a few days later we added...
12 hermit crabs (small)
2 redfoot snails and
1 mandarin goby
I am waiting for my Corallife 50/50 bulb to come in then I plan on adding a lot more LR and some GREAT soft corals we found at our LFS
Good luck with your 55!
Kate