nano tank lighting

cafero702

So I have a 29 gallon aquapod I've had it running for a couple months now and everything seems to be doing great ,(ill post pics once I figure out how too) anyways I have Metal Halides retrofitted into my hood and the 1 original true blue actnic power compact, I have the lights on a timer there on about 10hours of the day! I would like the just put the metal halides on the timer and keep the true blue actinic on 24 hours a day! Is this a bad idea?Will it fry or hurt my corals what so ever?? I have a chiller hooked up to the tank so I don't need to worry about the temperature at all.

mr. limpid

Why do you want to run the blues 24 hours, this is not what happens in nature? I would run the blue like an hour B4 and an hour after the MH goes on and off. JMO

cafero702

Just so it was like the moon light, sort of like the little blue LEDs usually mounted in the hoods but they were removed when the MH was retrofitted in ( I didn't remove them, I got the whole setup from my buddy) . When the timer goes off then its pitch blackness all night I guess I just miss the leds in my old nano and want everything to be as natural as possible. I do really like the idea of having the blue actinics run for an hour before and after the MH turn on and off, I've read about people doing it before just never went and purchased a second timer.

mr. limpid

I know what you mean I miss my PC fixture my new LED only has one plug and a manual switch for the blues on or off. You know you can buy a separate blue LED fixture called R2 solutions for about $30.

S

smallreef

yeah... moonlights and actinics are totally different,,, actinics are meant to be the dusk/dawn period and the leds simulate moonlight since they are so small...