nano's for beginners. good or bad?

V

vinnyraptor

i say bad for beginners...
i'd like to see what the experts and novices think.

nissan577

not calling myself a expert but i will have to disagree with you here. to me the nano are the best for beginners. they bring everything in one. and if you know what your doing then you have nothin to worried about.

xlr8

I'm a beginner currently putting together a 30 gal. Maybe not the best choice in size, but I feel that research and patience are the key to success. I'm not going to underestimate myself and my abilities. Would a 90 gal. be easier? Yes. Can I afford a 90? No. Do I want a 90gal+ engulfing my small sized living room? No. I really like the nano look, so I'm going for it. $.02
On a side note, my 30gal. is not a all-in-one. I've bought individual components.

aquaguy24

Anything over 20g is fine for a beginner. Something under 20g might give the first timer more headache then pleasure. Just wat I think.

mdmacolyte

I agree with Aquaguy ~ anything smaller than a 20 gallon and newbie might not be as quick to notice if things are going south ~ Also, in a 20 gallon immediate action can be more forgiving than in a 6 gallon.

gmann1139

Yeah, the 'nanos are too hard for beginners' thinking is fairly outdated, like dead coral decorations and filters under your sandbed. The hobby has come a long way through technological improvements and learning about the SW reef environment, specifically the nitrogen cycle.
The key to remember is cost. This hobby is expensive. Better someone start with a small tank, and make mistakes on a small scale, than get in over their head, and waste thousands.