NanOtank2008's 10 gallon reef diary!!!!!!

subielover

I think the tank is off to a good start, just need to work on the lights. Sorry if I(we) came off harsh, just trying for some constructive criticism. Good luck with it

rotarymagic

See I always have the budget baller mentality.. when I can save money doing something right the first time I try to do that. I just don't want you to get that "light's fine" attitude then kill both corals and get bad taste for SW especially reefkeeping. Things go south way quicker in a nano so we gotta look out for our "homeys." hahaha. You may be able to ghetto rig two 20watt 50/50 coralife spiral bulbs in there... that would probably allow you to keep some soft corals (zoas, ricordeas, etc.) and they use a standard incandescent socket.

nissan577

maybe yea. you can give it a shot. but try to get daylights in one and actinics in the other. but the tank

subielover

Originally Posted by NanOtank2008
http:///forum/post/2793203
yeah my lfs has 20 watt 50/50 bulbs do you think 2 of those would work for a litle while

That should work quite well, like nissan said it would be best to get a 10k and actinic that way you could replicate sunrise/sunset but the 50/50's are better than what you have now.
Can't wait to see some new pics with new bulbs

blazin2k6

Why do you guys always talk so bad to these people just starting out and stuff ? I mean i had a 10 gallon setup and i went to ***** and got a bulb that would fit into that fixture which came with 10 gallon tank and it workedddd excellent. I forget what it was called. Corallife something 50/50 something something but it was only 24 or 28 watts and IT WORKEDDDD PERFECT FOR ME. So dont be rushhing out there and getting 100 watt light or none of that GARBAGE for a 10 gallon tank. I think you guys over light some of the things yall get. i mean come on this is a 10 GALLON TANK. If she had 50 watts of light hell that would be enough to keep sps almost. In my aquapod i have 64 watts of light divided by 24 gallon tank. That isnt even 3 watts a gallon. And i got acans had an SPS that was doing excellent until it fell to back of tank. I got yumas micros acans zoas cloves blastos and everything is doing great :) So if i was you i wouldnt want to get anything high than 60 watts or 50 watts of light probably about 28 watt light would be good :) Or 2 of the ones you talking about. That would be perfect. 4 watts per gallon :)

nissan577

well im doing 2.44 watts per gallon and my corals are doing are great. but we are just helping him out. dont worry blazin lol we are not rushing him. it looks like we are but we are not

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Blazin2k6
http:///forum/post/2793391
Why do you guys always talk so bad to these people just starting out and stuff ? I mean i had a 10 gallon setup and i went to ***** and got a bulb that would fit into that fixture which came with 10 gallon tank and it workedddd excellent. I forget what it was called. Corallife something 50/50 something something but it was only 24 or 28 watts and IT WORKEDDDD PERFECT FOR ME. So dont be rushhing out there and getting 100 watt light or none of that GARBAGE for a 10 gallon tank. I think you guys over light some of the things yall get. i mean come on this is a 10 GALLON TANK. If she had 50 watts of light hell that would be enough to keep sps almost. In my aquapod i have 64 watts of light divided by 24 gallon tank. That isnt even 3 watts a gallon. And i got acans had an SPS that was doing excellent until it fell to back of tank. I got yumas micros acans zoas cloves blastos and everything is doing great :) So if i was you i wouldnt want to get anything high than 60 watts or 50 watts of light probably about 28 watt light would be good :) Or 2 of the ones you talking about. That would be perfect. 4 watts per gallon :)
Great advice for a new hobbyist!!!
He or she will have a better time watching toe nails grow. Nobody adds expensive coral to watch it grow an inch per year. If that is your goal than you would be just as happy with some fake decorations.
The current light fixture that is being used will be enough to maintain
a few soft corals. As stated above the growth will be slow and eventually a new light fixture will be purchased. You can buy a decent T5/PC fixture for a 10 gallon tank for under $50 and have good growth and health in the tank. Sure, I can keep anything I want under 20 watts of standard fluorescent over a 10 gallon tank short term. Long term is another story.
Blazin2k6, you are right on with the comment that to many people on here overlight their tanks. But we are talking about a light fixture that is used just to simply give off enough light to see the fish in the tank. Come on now.