Naso has ICK!

I jsut got a naso tang for my aquarium a few hours ago and he has already developed some ick around his face! I put some ick remover in the tank. I hope it works!

lefty

What kind of "ich remover" did you put in the tank, exactly? I don't recommend adding meds to your main tank. They can often hurt inverts, LR, corals, etc. It's just not a good deal. The best way to treat ich is to put your tang in a QT and perform hyposalinity. Check out the FAQs thread at the top of the Disease and Treatment forum for more information on this. Also, the recommended tank size for Naso Tangs are at least 125 gallons. How long is your tank? :happyfish
-lefty

rubberduck

yes hyposalinity should be used BUT in a hospital tank as this could be leathal for the inverts coral and such in the main tank

The medication is safe. I used it before and nothing at all died. Im starting to think it wasnt ick. It looked exactly like ick. Little white bumps around his face. When I got back home from the movies it was entirely gone. The naso tang is small. When he gets too large he will be traded in at my lfs. I did this with a yellow tang one time when I had a 55. It was extremly happy for about a year. When it got to big I traded it in.

lefty

It still might be ich. Ich will sometimes disappear and reappear before eventually remaining visible all the time. It could also be Lymphocystis. It's known to come and go. It isn't usually harmful for the fish. You might want to QT him and just keep a close eye on him until you can diagnose the problem. It might also help to get a magnifying glass out and try and get a closer look at the spots (taking pictures can help a lot too). :)
-lefty

lion_crazz

What does it look like that is on the fish? Is it little white spots (ich) or are they cottony spots that look like they are hanging off of him (lymph)? Regardless, is the fish eating for you yet? If so, I would recommend trying to soak his food in garlic as to give him a little bit of natural defense against the ich when it tries to keep attaching to the tang. Also, what is it called that you are treating him with? This may be stressing him out even more depending what it is.

They are more like little spots. When the fishis out of water or if there is no light, you cant see them. He was eating and grazing. Im put him in the quarintine tank. He still seems happy. Im gonna try the garlic thing. Should I start the hyposalinity? Thank you for your help.