Naso Tang

salth2o

I currently have a yellow tang in my 150. I would like to add a naso tang in the next week or so. Question: I assume yellow's and naso will/should live togther fine? The yellow is the only fish in the tank besides a Manaderine goby that is extremly shy.
Question #2 how big of one should i get? I would prefer to grow mine?

G

glenn

Your yellow WILL attack the naso. Probably anything else you try to introduce into the tank. Did you snip off the tail barbs on the yellow? Size difference doesnt matter with the yellow. They can be very aggressive when it comes to new members.
Yes it is humane to snip the barbs off.
Glenn

corky

I have a 75 and my yellow tang went after the naso when first introduced. The naso wasn't bothered. Eventually, the yellow backed off and the two seem to be good friends now swimming side by side with no problems. A 150 provides much more room and although the yellow might be irritated at first, I think it will work out. The Naso is definately worth it.

ocellaris_keeper

:p
Depends on the size of the NASo too - If the Naso is significantly larger than your Yellow friend than he will wait out the assault of the yelow and they will get along. Otherwise he may become stressed.

dasnake03

In your size tank they will get along fine. The yellow tang may look like he is hitting the naso with his scalpel but he is just warning him, he will not cause damage.If I were you I would get it no larger than 5", they seem to adapt better to aquarium life,and food. It might also help to put a few green chromis in to distract the yellow tang,they are much faster. The yellow and the naso are both from different families,different body shape they will be fine after the first day or so. The yellow will bother anything that comes into the tank after him for a little while, but mostly tangs. Also keeping the lights off for the first few hours should help. You will be fine!