Nass snail ok with no substrate?

hallzy

I have been starting up a new tank for awhile now, and I'm making it a slow process in order to do everything right. I would have already had it up and going by now, but I am waiting until I go on vacation to get substrate because I am going to get the same kind that I have in my other tank. I have about 3 and a half weeks until I go. today I stole a few hermits and a snail out of my other tank to get a small CUC started in my new tank. But I realized after I transfered them over that with no substrate, the nass snail that I transfered over will not have anything to go down into! Is this ok for them, or do they have to have that substrate to bury themselves in? If it is going to be a problem, I can transfer him back until I get substrate put in there!

btldreef

I've kept them in bare bottom tanks, but honestly, they're better served in a tank with a substrate. I'd leave them in your other tank until you have substrate for them.

S

saxman

Besides requiring a substrate, Nassarius sp. feed on carrion and to a lesser extent, detritus, so adding this species to a new tank will likely starve the snail unless you target feed it.

hallzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/385847/nass-snail-ok-with-no-substrate#post_3386577
Besides requiring a substrate, Nassarius sp. feed on carrion and to a lesser extent, detritus, so adding this species to a new tank will likely starve the snail unless you target feed it.
Hmm, well the tank has been running for just over 2 months, and has had a damsel in it for about a month. I just added the snail and 2 hermits 3 days ago. Do you think they will be ok, or should I ge them out? are hermits the same way? Should I get them out as well? I was just taking some greif for not having a CUC yet, so thats why I added them. But if they wont make it in there then I will get them out right away!
And also if these guys wont work in there yet, what can I use for a CUC until it establishes a little bit?