Nassarius Snail, where did they go?

mgh

I recently purchased a pair of these. I know they burrow but they should come out during feedings. would a cb shimp eat them? that is the only thing i can think of that might eat them.

hot883

A pair, in like 2? I added 100 to my 55 gallon and 250 to my 125 gallon. 2, yes is a start but will really not do much good.
They hide under the sand and come out when the tank gets fed and also at night.

team2jndd

Lol I have one huge one that Ive had forever. I should get some pics on here. Hes a monster and he only comes out at night. You can see a lump in the sand where he is though and his little antannae is normally out sniffing for food.

larryndana

Originally Posted by hot883
A pair, in like 2? I added 100 to my 55 gallon and 250 to my 125 gallon. 2, yes is a start but will really not do much good.
They hide under the sand and come out when the tank gets fed and also at night.
wow, thats alot. I've got like 8 for a 24gal.
what kind of clean up crew do you use with the nassarius's?

addicted2

I have both the small and large. here's a pic of them under actinics. My larger one doesn't come out often. Only when he's hungry and smells food he'll rise form the sand bed. His body is probably close to 2" long. the little ones approx 1/2-3/4"(I got from SWF) are out most of the time. you can see there shells. They don't go completely under the sand. I also have a big coral banded shrimp and he doesn't bother any of them.

BIG difference huh!

sepulatian

I had, I don't even know how many, My hawk likes them for snack time. Hermits too

I do see them come out of the sand sometimes................the survivors.

addicted2

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I had, I don't even know how many, My hawk likes them for snack time. Hermits too

I do see them come out of the sand sometimes................the survivors.
:scared: I'm hearing the movie "jaws" theme when I read "survivors"

michaeltx

LOL
Mike always hide I saw 1-2 every now and then but the other 50+ hide very well I didnt find them till I sold the tank in TX
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by addicted2
:scared: I'm hearing the movie "jaws" theme when I read "survivors"

LOL yep. My hawk is a lil' devil but I love him!!!!
He sucks things right out of the shell. He is board, I will have more interesting tank mates for him soon enough. Stinging mates. He will learn to leave things alone! My halide lights are comming soon. My spoiled brat of a hawk is by himself with hermits, snails, and rocks right now. He won't be so eager to dive at things when I get items that sting back!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
LOL
Mike always hide I saw 1-2 every now and then but the other 50+ hide very well I didnt find them till I sold the tank in TX
Mike
mickadee did you have fish?

addicted2

LOL yep. My hawk is a lil' devil but I love him!!!!
He sucks things right out of the shell. He is board, I will have more interesting tank mates for him soon enough. Stinging mates. He will learn to leave things alone! My halide lights are comming soon. My spoiled brat of a hawk is by himself with hermits, snails, and rocks right now. He won't be so eager to dive at things when I get items that sting back!
I love the flame hawks. I always wanted one but thought they might eat copepods too..I want a mandarine worse, so I am building up my copepod population. do hawlks eat pods and stuff too? I know the basslets eat isopods.

michaeltx

in Texas or now LOL .
In Texas I had
yellow tang, coral beuty angel, a group of filamented flasher wrasses, a sebae clown, a couple of damsels, and PJ cardinals, big eyed squirl, v-lion, trigger, prky puffer, stars and stripes puffer, morray eel, and a quinee fowl puffer, Of course not all in the same tank LOL
currently I have
2 percula clowns
3 damsels
and a red mandarin *eating frozen mysis*
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by addicted2
I love the flame hawks. I always wanted one but thought they might eat copepods too..I want a mandarine worse, so I am building up my copepod population. do hawlks eat pods and stuff too? I know the basslets eat isopods.
Copepods are yummy treats to all but algae eating fish (tangs, butterflies) but sometimes them too. That is why it is SO important to have a large amount of very mature live rock and also a refugium with pods multiplying in peace within the fuge. They are not a natural source of food for alot of fish, but neither are snail or fish eggs. Fish still consider those a tasty treat

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
in Texas or now LOL .
In Texas I had
yellow tang, coral beuty angel, a group of filamented flasher wrasses, a sebae clown, a couple of damsels, and PJ cardinals, big eyed squirl, v-lion, trigger, prky puffer, stars and stripes puffer, morray eel, and a quinee fowl puffer, Of course not all in the same tank LOL
currently I have
2 percula clowns
3 damsels
and a red mandarin *eating frozen mysis*
Mike
Red mandarine? Never saw one of them. Do you have pics yet?

addicted2

Copepods are yummy treats to all but algae eating fish (tangs, butterflies) but sometimes them too. That is why it is SO important to have a large amount of very mature live rock and also a refugium with pods multiplying in peace within the fuge. They are not a natural source of food for alot of fish, but neither are snail or fish eggs. Fish still consider those a tasty treat

well I have approx 100 lbs of LR and a fuge..so I am hoping my pod population will flourish..so far so good. I see them all over.