Nassarius vs Ilyanassa Obsoleta

cj7eagle

I've had the Obsoleta's in my tank before and liked them, but read on an ---- sellers page (selling nassarius) that the Obsoletas arent reef safe. Is this true? I never had any problem with them before.
I am looking for some snails to keep my sand bed stirred up, and to eat left over food and such. I figured i would put 150-200 in my 72 gallon tank. What would be a better choice?

rldavisou

Did some research on your Ilyanassa Obsoleta. They prefer much colder water 54-71 degrees F, and a lower salinity than reef tanks require. They are also more suited to mud flats, areas with very wet clay type substrates, where they are often exposed to air during low tide. They are planktonic feeders as opposed to the detritus diet of nassarius snails.
It's not an issue of "reef safe," as much as "reef compatible."

cj7eagle

Thanks, where did you find all of that information, mostly the temp and SG? I tried to google them myself with little luck.

bradig

I have had a handful of nassarius in my 29 gallon reef for about four years. They are by far the best snail I have had for the sand bed. They look nice and are fun to watch as they come up from the sand when anything hits the water. I have never heard of the other snails mentioned.

frozenguy

first google response yields same info as far as type area you'll find them, sg, tempurture.. all of it.. just the name
Ilyanassa Obsoleta
and tons of info.. they have 5-6 whorls btw

:)

cj7eagle

Originally Posted by frozenguy
first google response yields same info as far as type area you'll find them, sg, tempurture.. all of it.. just the name
Ilyanassa Obsoleta
and tons of info.. they have 5-6 whorls btw

:)
oh man... so it does. i checked that link too. perhaps i should do more reading and less skimming huh?