Nasty Series Of Losses Need To Discuss

nacl-man

While I have been keeping a tank for 3 years I still consider myself a newbie (as this disclosure will either confirm or deny lol). Recently (11/24) I added a LT Anemone and a Flame Hawk to my tank (60 gallon) along with a Clarkii, two cleaner shrimp, and a Bi-Color Blenny that have been living in the tank for 3 years and 1.5 respectively.
On 12/1 I lost my Blenny to what I think was a powerhead accident aggravated by a sting from the anemone, but I am not entirely sure.
Today 12/2 I lost the anemone which, in conjunction with the loss of the Bi-Color, has made the tank a total mess.
I have been doing water changes since 11/30 to combat a tiny spike in ammonia levels, which I attributed to the addition of the fish on the 24th, but am probably wrong. So I am out of saltwater as of this morning (I used everything I had left to do a change this morning after I found the anemone has died).
Two Things:
1) What do I do to save the fish I have left, I am making RO water as fast as I can.
2) My fish disappear in a matter of hours. I went to bed last night at 11 and the Anemone was fine... but gone in the morning. What causes this?
My tank has been 'acting weird' for the past month and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm hopeful that we can come to a conclusion.
Cheers!

dvs

Sorry to hear about your losses :(
What are your water specs at? (The numbers, not "ok" or "fine")

ssweet1

Sounds like the whole problem started with the anemone. It could have been declining for a little while and wrecking your water. Are you checking all levels after each water change? You dont want to change ph/alk or salinity drastically from day to day. Sorry to hear about your fish :nope:

T

thomas712

So about only 8 days for the anemone. Well I'd have to wonder what happend to the anemone before it was purchased. Was it healthy? How long did the LFS have it? Was it a new arrival to the store? How was it caught? Was it under good lighting? Fed at all?
Then we come to your tank, we don't know the water paramiters so its possible that your tank had something to do with it. Starting with acclimation, how did you acclimate him? Temp up to snuff? salinity? and ph value? How about a skimmer? Were the water paramiters good before you made your new perchases? Calcium and alk up to values?
Can you run some new carbon at this point?
How large of a water change did you do?
Is there an LFS that can sell you some premade SW or that you can get some more salt from?
Are you allowing your saltmix to mix for 24 to 48 hours before a reg water change?
Sometimes we just get an unhealthy speciman and things go down hill.
I have another thought that just struck me, Did you have a DSB? LTA's like to burry there foot in the sand, what if the LTA had broken into an anoxic area? I don't know, I've never heard of it before but what a thought?
Well I just don't know, without being able to test your water, know your setup, or not being able to see the anemone I'm strickly guessing. I am sorry to hear about it.
Thomas

nacl-man

Thanks for the replies. I know there really isn't a whole lot you can do without seeing the tank for itself or the anemone, so i appreciate that.
Before the addition of the anemone and hawk everything was 'normal'
ph 8.2 (7.8-8.6 depending on what test kit I use.. the hagen which is what everything else is pegs it - 8.2 so i go with that)
N02/3 both 0
AM 0
P04 0
Ca 460ish +/-
Alk - dunno kit ran out just got a new one, usually around 100-115 mg/L
I don't test for Iron or Mag
EuroReef skimmer
After the anemone AM sarted to creep... i was getting .1 on my hagen test kit... so i started a series of planned water changes (sit for 24 hours, heated ect...) did about two of those until this morning when my anemone disappears (I think my PH got the best of him... as some of it was still clogging the intake area). Then I did 20 gallons as fast as I could because the thing stinks like i'm curing live rock.
I did this in the morning, I just got back from class and am doing a complete workup on the water (after the 20g change) and will post that.
The LTA looked healthy - the LFS, had been fed and kept under decent lighting, good coloring, he was drip acclimated for over 1.5 hours and appeared to be doing fine. I do have a DSB which he started in but eventually moved onto the rock work (normal?).
I am of the opinion that I should have yanked the LTA as soon as I saw the AM rise... any thoughts? I thought maybe he would do OK, but now not so sure...
BTW (an aside) now my return pump is making like it wants to die and the dogs got into my gatorade powder and are throwing up all over the house, also the classes I need are all full and I have to petition instructors... fun day huh? LOL It builds character right? :mad:
Cheers! (and thanks for the help)

nacl-man

Just tested my water.
(trite) - 0 mg/l
(trate) - 0-5 mg/l
(amm) - .6-1.2 mg/l
Alk - 120 mg/l (2.4 meq/l)
PH - 7.9
Ca - 460 ppm
I just realized that my conversions to meq/l from the alk readings my Hagen gave are way off. The correct one (posted) pegs my water params as being completely whacked... and that PH reading i just took clued me in, something isn't balanced. I've been using multiple kits and reading them wrong i think... so I never was clued in by a wacky PH reading. Maybe I should invest in a pinpoint (wife will love that... another 100 bucks on the tank lol)....
I'm going to keep doing water changes daily until I get everything back under control. Man I hate messing up :(
Cheers!