nasu tang won't eat

dbrabago

i just got a nasu tang and he's not eating. my lfs told me to feed him romain lettuce and he'll be just fine. are there any other option's that i can feed my fish. the fish is wild caught.
i live in hawaii. aloha and thanks for helping.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dbrabago
i just got a nasu tang and he's not eating. my lfs told me to feed him romain lettuce and he'll be just fine. are there any other option's that i can feed my fish. the fish is wild caught.
i live in hawaii. aloha and thanks for helping.
Pick up some nori at your local market. It is used to wrap sushi. How old is your tank? How much LR do you have? Crush some fresh garlic and add the juices to the food to entice him.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by dbrabago
it might sound stupid but do i put in the whole sheet of nori or do i crumble it up into a ball?
It comes in strips, or you can cut strips off. Use a rubber band to attatch it to a small piece of rock. No question is stupid. It is better to ask. Chances are that others reading this are thinking the same thing.

anthropo

nori should be a big part of the diet but there are other things that will entice him to feed. not all tangs see nori as food right away. romaine lettuce is garbage to feed a tang by the way. probably shouldn't take advice from this pet store if this is what they are telling you to feed. try mysis and if that doesn't work try brine. if the fish still doesn't eat, something is wrong. garlic extract will work though and help boost the immune system.

scotts

Both of them are right. One thing you can do with the nori if you get tired of the rubber band and rock thing is use a clip for your tank, or if you have one of the magnet glass cleaners. Trap the piece of nori between the glass and the cleaner.
Also the mysis and brine shrimp will help get it started eating, along with the garlic. Soak the shrimp in the garlic for about an hour before putting it in the tank. This worked with naso and also just recently with another person on this board.
HTH
Scott

scotts

Ehhhh, to be a downer now. You do realize that fish will get way too big for your 55. In fact I have mine in a 125 and I am concerned that will be too small for it. Plus your tank might be pretty full as it is listed in your profile.
Just trying to help you and and prevent you from having a crash.

mcbdz

If you still can't get him to eat you may need to but some macro algea from your lfs. Are you allowed to collect seaweed from the ocean, or maybe just beach?
Rinse it well and see if that will get him started. Slowly adding what you plan to feed as he eats better to switch.