natural filteration using sponges/squirts?

searcher

Looks interesting. I've often thought about adding sponges and tunicates to my sump and see what happens. I plan on getting one of those books.

jonthefb

this is a subject brought up in the new Reef Invertebraters book by anthony calfo and robert fenner as well.....because sponges, tunicates, and clams process huge volumes of water through their tissue constantly, utilizing htem in a filter method would be ideal as your water turnover rat would be phenomenol! i personally pulled some caulerpa out of my sump the other day, and it had huge amounts of a grey sponge that acted like a mortar holding all the caulerpa together....it was very strange! maybe this gusy is an opportunistic feeder, because i didnt introduce it myself, it must have been a hitcher on live rock or soemthing, and now it is growing as rapidly as the caulerpa!
good luck
jon

djessem

Their adition to the sump, according to the data i have read, is not the idealapplication. Rather, it uggests using them in the shadowedprotions of the reef aquascaping where light does not hitdirectly. The author gave theseareas specific names but suggested the turbulence within a sump as less than ideal for those animals. He suggested their use within the darkened crevices and caves within our rock directly in the tank.