Nature's Ocean Live Sand

alianated

I saw that everyone was recommending Nature's Ocean Live sand, yet everywhere I go all I can find is Nature's Ocean Live Aragonite Reef Sand.
Is this the same thing?
If not, can someone send me a link to where you can get the actual Sand?
Also, if I have a 50 Gallon tank, any ideas how many pounds I would need? I ask because I know there is a suggested amount of sand to have in your tank (4 inches correct?) and I would hate to buy it, and start putting it in the tank and find that I dont have enough and then have to order it again.
Thanks for any help.
Ian

kdlbem

Look on the back of the bag, if there's an expiration date, that's the stuff :D I switched from CC to LS about a month ago, and still haven't seen more than a trace of nitrates since. I used 60lbs natures ocean and 30lbs of non-live aragonite for a 3-1/2 inch bed in a 75gal, just to give you an idea.
Oh yeah, you can get it here at SWF.com too.
HTH,
B
[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: KDLBEM ]

goofieones

It is probably the same stuff, you can buy it at this site. If I were you I'd probably buy one 40lb and then another 20lb. I just bought mine, and according to fed ex, it should arrive tomorrow. So saturday is the big change........wish me luck. :)

darkp

Hey alienated.. i'm recently setting up my new 55 gallon with ls. Been running a 20 gal fish only for quite some time now with CC. Off what i've gathered from the boards and research, i've done a 4" ( looks like a lot in a 55 gal tank ) bed. The weights came up to about 90 lbs ( give or take some ). I used 40 lbs of aquarium sugar sand ( silica based - for asthetic purposes & tighter packing for less gas exchange through the bed), 30 lbs of finely crushed argonite ( CarribSea argomax ), and 20 lbs of Natures Ocean live sand to seed it. Tank cycling is moving significantly faster than my 20 gal ever did, and the bed looks pretty nice. Any questions.. lemme know.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nature's Ocean sells both live and "dead sand". So, when you buy, make sure you know what you are getting. They also sell varieties of sands and substrates depending on your needs and tastes.
Here is the manufacture's website so you can take a look.
[BTW: SWF.com sells Nature's Ocean LS at a very resonable price!]
Nature's Ocean
[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]