Necessary Equipment for a 180Gal Reef

euphoria

Hi everyone,
I am slowly planning on setting up a 150-180 gallon reef tank this summer.
What would your recommendations be, as far as equipment, on a tank that size. I want to spend wisely but not be cheap so that later I encounter problems w/ bad or underperforming equipment.
What size/brand skimmer, PH's, other filters would you recommend.
If you are successfully running a 180 gallon reef, please give me advice. Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks

tony detroit

125gal fuge for chaeto macro
barebottom
80W Uv sterilizer
100mg/hr ozonizer
H and S A 200-2x-2001 skimmer
2 tunze 6001 on multicontroller
return through seaswirls
Looking at about 5K

euphoria

Why would i need the ozonizer?
I was thinking of turning my 60 gallon into a sump. Would that work?
Is the Fuge a must?

tony detroit

60gal would work.
Fuge is not a must, but the plants will export a lot of nutrients that the skimmer and manual removel misses.

thangbom

hey tony..... i heard uv was a no no in reef........ can u explain to me the benifit of a uv ??? i heard the kill too much stuff in tank..

euphoria

Originally posted by ThaNgBom
hey tony..... i heard uv was a no no in reef........ can u explain to me the benifit of a uv ??? i heard the kill too much stuff in tank..

I'm running a UV on my current reef tank and have had no problems. I got an ich attack before the UV and since then haven't had any ich problems, that's why I'm sticking to it. I'm sure the UV zaps certain micro-organisms that I"m not aware of, but I don't really care too much about those.

badkharma

UV for a reef isn't bad at all. The only time I could see it interfering is maybe during phytoplankton feedings. Other than that, it'll keep your tank free of most diseases. It does not, in my experience, affect pods or coraline at all.

tony detroit

A common misconception of beginner aquarists is that there is this magical population of phytoplankton and pods in their water and a UV unit will somehow collapse their reef system.
It has been proven many times that you really don't need to feed phyto at all for the majority of reef tanks. I don't feed one thing other than fish food.
Most people foul their water with phyto. They think it is success in a bottle. Phyto is good for small clams, bivalves, etc. For the majority of reef tanks and their inhabitants you don't need to feed much at all. Just have a good liverock base, and high intensity lighting and good water paramaters and you will get great growth and color.

euphoria

I"ve been using phyto for 2 months now and haven't noticed any changes. It's just pollution in the water and a waste of $29 per bottle.
I think I'll stop the usage as well.

golfish

Originally posted by tony detroit
125gal fuge for chaeto macro
barebottom
80W Uv sterilizer
100mg/hr ozonizer
H and S A 200-2x-2001 skimmer
2 tunze 6001 on multicontroller
return through seaswirls
Looking at about 5K

Those are all good suggestions and would make a fine reef but there's not one thing there I would have suggested, except for the bare bottom. Just shows how people go in different directions and accomplish the same goals.
The bigger the sump the better..never been a big fuge fan. The H and S seem to be a good skimmer, as does the bubble king and deltec..I'd suggest a Geo's re circulating skimmers, good top off system (Liter Meter), good Ca reactor. For flow I'd have the tank drilled and use the OM 4 way with 1.5" pipe, that and a good pump is all you'll need for a LOT of radom flow. Then again we don't know what you plan to keep.

golfish

Originally posted by ThaNgBom
can u explain to me the benifit of a uv ?

A common misconception of beginner aquarists is that there is this magical population of phytoplankton and pods in their water and a UV unit will somehow collapse their reef system.
It has been proven many times that you really don't need to feed phyto at all for the majority of reef tanks. I don't feed one thing other than fish food.
Most people foul their water with phyto. They think it is success in a bottle. Phyto is good for small clams, bivalves, etc. For the majority of reef tanks and their inhabitants you don't need to feed much at all. Just have a good liverock base, and high intensity lighting and good water paramaters and you will get great growth and color.

Tony, so what do you feel the benifit is?......you were so buzy defending UV you let the question blow right by ya:) I've kind of noticed this with guys who use UV, hmmm
:thinking:

golfish

Less parasites
Clearer water
Breaking of phosphate bonds so they can be skimmed

All good reasons to use em if your having those problems..I've never used em and really don't know a reefer who does. I've thought about both off and on for some time now..At the moment I'm running a system that doesn't allow either.
Thanks for the input.

cubuffs

In addition to what tony wrote, I have (3) 400w MH, (2) 150W actinics. Furthermore, I would recommend an ASM, Euroreef, or a Deltec skimmer. I have an ASM 6 on my reef and it does very well. Finally, I have a 40W UV on my 180 reef and it is parasite free.
HTH