Need 30 inch lights

jacrmill

I have finally decided to get rid of that eclipse hood, but now I need new lights. It is for a 37 gallon tank. I dont need anything too amazing. I would probably like to keep some easy corals, but nothing as intense as a clam or SPS. Also I would prefer something with a lunar light, since I like to watch them at night a lot. I live in Indianapolis....

jacrmill

yeah, i saw your post, but i dont think the 36 inch lights would fit in my canopy. otherwise it would be perfect.

yeah i fit wont fit if you have a canopy but does give you a reason to up grade to a little bigger tank

Originally Posted by jacrmill
yeah, i saw your post, but i dont think the 36 inch lights would fit in my canopy. otherwise it would be perfect.

shrimpi

I have 24" Pcs
Orbit 2x 65 (130w total) with flat feet to sit on top a canopy. If you want the feet that hook on the side of the tank like for an open top tank they are inexpensive.
Lemme know if you are interested.
Light is 8 mos old.
Jess

dude23455

I have 3 sets of the coralife t5 twinstrips.
Each has a 10k t5 and a actinic t5. for a total of 36 watts per strip.
they dont have moonlights but they are 30" and should fit inside your canopy

juice_1080

I had the same thing that Dude is talking about. The only problem with them is that they are just T5 - NO not HO or VHO....30" lights are hard to find in general. I ended up with a 36" on mine but I also don't have a canopy.
I would suggest putting a MH pendant on it.

jacrmill

thanks for the help, but i really think with a 30 inch I am probably just going to put in some PC. I might just have to go buy some new ones, i can get a 2x65 PC light with lunar for about $130, so thats not too bad. it is made by Satellite, anybody know anything about the Satellite daul PC 30 inch 2x65 watts?

dude23455

I never had any problems finding lights. They are readily available online and my LFS stocks them also.
Normal output or not, The t5 units lit the tank very well and all of my lps and softies were very happy.

jacrmill

yeah, i appreciatte the lights, but I just dont think that is what I am looking for. Thanks anyways though, I know nobody really likes PCs, but that is what would seem to be best for me (since I dont really wanna do MH yet).

karenm

I have a Current 30" PC fixture with fan and moonlight that I bought from Bronco300 back during the summer (he repl the moonlight at that time, I replaced the actinincs about 2 months ago). I just upgraded from 40g to 120g, and I'm looking for 48" T5s. As soon as I find them my 30" PCs will be for sale, unfortunately I don't know when that'll be but hopefully it'll be soon. If you're not in a big hurry we can keep in touch.

jacrmill

im really not in much of a hurry. But I have a quick question....would they run cool enough under a wood canopy? im paranoid about heating up my tank or even worse starting a fire. i may just get a retro kit, but not sure yet....how do you think they would do?

karenm

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm only about 8 months into SW and don't know much about them. If Bronco300 is around, he could answer that question. Probably anyone with more experience than I have could.
I had the fixture on a 30" tank with a small fan. With the house A/C set on 78 the tank stayed about 78 also. But I don't know how hot they would get in a canopy.

bronco300

you may have a few heat issues with the hood being inside a canopy, but as long as you have proper ventilation and use fans if needed(may or may not need those...the fans inside the hood may be enough if the hood isn't completely enclosed.