Need a good laugh? It happened.

reefer545

I finally stung myself today. After 2.5 years, I finally grabbed a bristle worm by accident. I was moving some rock around while cleaning, and sure enough there was a long bristle worm just waitin for me. I know better, and I have read so many times to wear gloves and that the sting of them hurts a good bit. Well, I have to admit that there is a pretty good sting/tingling sensation in my palm adn a couple of fingers. HAHAHAHA. I'm dumb. Will I wear gloves in the future? NO. Will I be more careful where I pick a rock up from? YES.
Just for anybody else out there that doesnt know (besides myself):
How long can I plan on feeling the sensation in my hand for?
I have been stung by anemones before, and they lasted a few months at least, I remember. The sting of them was also accompanied by a good rash. Do I have the same to look forward to here?

alix2.0

IME, no rash, but plan on having the splinter feeling for a few days untill the bristles work their way out of your skin.
how did you take the bristles out? what i do is let it dry and cover it with a thick coat of glue (elmers will work but something like rubber cement is better.) let it dry and then slowly pull it off. it will pull the majority of the bristles out with it.
ughhh wear gloves man! lol i get stung a couple times a week.

reefer545

Thanks Alix. I used my pliers I carry. Needlenose. I got the most of them out, but some definitely are still there. The glue idea is great. Thanks.
Na, no gloves. I am a chef, and I am constantly burning myself or occasionally (very occasionally) cutting myself, so the pain is not really something I am concerned with. I honestly cant believe it took me this long to get stung.

And to everyone else: Make me feel not so dumb. Share your stupid move stories too. haha

perfectdark

Yep, good story, I bet it would of been a lot better to have been there though. LOL.
As far as the pain, I dont know I have never been stung. However I did see a similar circumstance in one of my LFS a while ago. I was observing one the small invert tanks. I saw what looked like a bristle worm but different coloration. I told the owner he has a funky looking worm in his tank. He said ehh bristles there always there, if I see them I will take them out because I have a lot of them. I said ummm ok but this one looks different. Not wanting to tell him about his buisness I just hinted it could be something different. Nope he says here I will show you, I giggled a bit before he stuck his hand in, because of what might happen. To my delight it did happen.. he pulled the worm out of the tank and barley got the word "see" out of his mouth and it looked like someone set him on fire. He jumped about 4 feet and yelled, threw the worm on the floor and stepped on it. LOL, I was litterally in tears and needed a moment to compose myself...
I can only imagine what it looked like for you at that memorable time...

teen

i just pick 'em up with my hands now. the first time i was stung was sorta annoying, but i pulled the bristles out with tweezers. now i just pick 'em up and dont even feel it anymore.
sorta like getting pricked by a cactus.

jennythebugg

when tobin first got his big tank he ordered alot of lr and he was telling me about hitch hikers when i got the sting i felt really stupid cause he had just mentioned ( like 30 seconds before) that i should put on gloves or use tongs because of the bristleworms

reefer545

I b4et you laughed your arse off Dark. I would have. It's funny when others get hurt. WITHIN REASON OF COURSE.
The surprise is what really got me. The pain was not too bad. And I found the perfect remedy.
A NICE COLD BEER IN THE HAND (AND GUT) REALLY ALLEVIATES THE SENSATION. LOL. for all you kids, beer means pop. lol.
Ironical isnt it JenBug?

perfectdark

Isnt it funny when you find humor at the expense of others... LOL. Im always ready to crack a smile, but always hold back to assess the condition of the poor soul that just got owned by whatever. Rule of thumb if your going to be that way is... never be too much of a sore loser to not be able to laugh at yourself if the same should happen. LMAO...

darknes

Just like bee stings or anemone stings, some people react more to bristleworms than others. I don't really feel anything when I grab them.

reefer545

Yeah, a couple months with a rash that looked like egsma(sp?). It was itchy and constantly irritating. The wierd part was that the anemone stings took a long time to finally effect me. By that I mean that I had been stung by this same anemeone for months and months of intermediate stings to finally effect me. Wird huh?
Dark, I agree wholeheartedly. People should be able to laugh at themselves, especially if they are gonna find enjoyment in laughing at others. Spoken like a true ... well, friend of mine thats for sure.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by REEFER545
http:///forum/post/2492966
Yeah, a couple months with a rash that looked like egsma(sp?). It was itchy and constantly irritating. The wierd part was that the anemone stings took a long time to finally effect me. By that I mean that I had been stung by this same anemeone for months and months of intermediate stings to finally effect me. Wird huh?
Dark, I agree wholeheartedly. People should be able to laugh at themselves, especially if they are gonna find enjoyment in laughing at others. Spoken like a true ... well, friend of mine thats for sure.

Kind of off topic but it fits kinda and its funny to boot.. I am the oldest of 3 brothers. My youngest was always the one that was picked on througout our childhood years. Ironically he is the biggest too, 6'1" and now hes a lean 210lbs, a short time ago he was teetering at about 330 or so. He is a college grad with a bachelors degree in criminal justice but never knew what he wanted to do as a career. He finally commited to trying out for one of our local police departments. He started his trainning and in 2 years he tried out and made the academy. He is now a local town police officer. Well as a child he never took our punishments too eaisily which is what made things so funny. Part of his trainning for the academy was to get sprayed with pepper spray (police grade mind you) they filmed it and we all saw it. And once again had the pleasure to laugh at someone elses expense. Seeing the opportunity for a bit of revenge he played the old I bet you wont let me spray you card, to me. A bit of a quandry I was in, either I say no and he wins, now he has done something that requires a certain "toughness" by his standards that is "big brother" wont attempt. Knowing that all of us boys can never go outdone by the other. He knew I would say... "oh hell no its on, get the spray." He now gets to indulge in my agony of getting pepperd, ie I lose. Well like I said above if you cannot laugh at yourself then you shouldnt laugh at others. So, here I go eyes shut and a nod. Spladoww.. i get hosed in the face... yea you know I'll take 10 fireworms stuffed under my arms before I do that again... OMG that burned for 2 straight hours, it felt like somebody lit my face on fire, got a blow torch and shot it under my eyelids, up my nose and down my throat. The only relief that was to be had until the capsazin wore off was a constant stream of cold water on my face. But the minute I took it away it was agonizing pain again. Yea did I mention 2 hours of that....let me say it again 2 of the longest hours of my life....

coral keeper

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2493012
Kind of off topic but it fits kinda and its funny to boot.. I am the oldest of 3 brothers. My youngest was always the one that was picked on througout our childhood years. Ironically he is the biggest too, 6'1" and now hes a lean 210lbs, a short time ago he was teetering at about 330 or so. He is a college grad with a bachelors degree in criminal justice but never knew what he wanted to do as a career. He finally commited to trying out for one of our local police departments. He started his trainning and in 2 years he tried out and made the academy. He is now a local town police officer. Well as a child he never took our punishments too eaisily which is what made things so funny. Part of his trainning for the academy was to get sprayed with pepper spray (police grade mind you) they filmed it and we all saw it. And once again had the pleasure to laugh at someone elses expense. Seeing the opportunity for a bit of revenge he played the old I bet you wont let me spray you card, to me. A bit of a quandry I was in, either I say no and he wins, now he has done something that requires a certain "toughness" by his standards that is "big brother" wont attempt. Knowing that all of us boys can never go outdone by the other. He knew I would say... "oh hell no its on, get the spray." He now gets to indulge in my agony of getting pepperd, ie I lose. Well like I said above if you cannot laugh at yourself then you shouldnt laugh at others. So, here I go eyes shut and a nod. Spladoww.. i get hosed in the face... yea you know I'll take 10 fireworms stuffed under my arms before I do that again... OMG that burned for 2 straight hours, it felt like somebody lit my face on fire, got a blow torch and shot it under my eyelids, up my nose and down my throat. The only relief that was to be had until the capsazin wore off was a constant stream of cold water on my face. But the minute I took it away it was agonizing pain again. Yea did I mention 2 hours of that....let me say it again 2 of the longest hours of my life....

OUCH! lol