Need a QT

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katorr http:///t/395696/need-a-qt/20#post_3527304
How do I know that the QT tank is safe?
By safe, do you mean ready to support a bioload of fish?? Or do you mean no disease, or parasites??
Ready for fish... Testing throughout the cycle will tell you if a tank is safe for fish.
But you really can't tell if your QT is safe from disease or parasites (other then the fact that it is newly setup system that never housed any animal ) until you put a fish in the QT. The QT tank will not give the fish a disease or parasite, but rather the new fish will introduce a disease or parasite to the QT tank.
The reason you would want to add your first fish to a QT is that if it ends up having some sort of issue, it is already in a tank that can easily receive treatment (you don't need to catch the fish from the DT).

K

katorr

How do I cycle the QT... a sponge (dishwashing type) fromDT and just placed into the QT at the same time as the new fish, or do I need to wait?

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katorr http:///t/395696/need-a-qt/20#post_3527309
How do I cycle the QT... a sponge (dishwashing type) fromDT and just placed into the QT at the same time as the new fish, or do I need to wait?
Do not use a dishwashing sponge in a fish tank of any type. Most of them have germicidal compounds added to reduce bacterial growth, and will be toxic to your fish (and beneficial bacteria). Use virtually any kind of fish tank filter material which has been kept in the dt sump.

deejeff442

yep i still remember over 25 years ago i used a dish sponge and was cleaning the inside glass.all of a sudden the fish were gasping for air and died

K

katorr

I was going to find one that hopefully didn't have any chemicals in it... And since did a little bit more research and figured out that you probably meant a filter sponge of some sort. I found some filter floss... Looks like pillow stuffing, but it says it is for aquariums. Would it work in those baskets in my HOB filter? I haven't been able to graduate to a sump yet...

geridoc

I was going to find one that hopefully didn't have any chemicals in it... And since did a little bit more research and figured out that you probably meant a filter sponge of some sort. I found some filter floss... Looks like pillow stuffing, but it says it is for aquariums. Would it work in those baskets in my HOB filter? I haven't been able to graduate to a sump yet...
A filter sponge would have more surface area, but any filter material would work.