Need a skimmer

tayl0124

Okay I started my tank about 7-8 years ago. Bought a crappy skimmer, won't even mention the name. The tank has been neglected for way to long now, and now plan to do something about it. The first thing I am going to invest in is a better skimmer. I have 1 fish in there now that I fortunately haven't been able to kill. Live rock, which I am unsure about the quantity (can't remember how much I bought years ago) and health of as I just moved it the other day and the bottom was all white. My question is what skimmer should I buy. I currently don't have any other type of filtration, just the skimmer. My tank is a 30 gal. but would like to buy equipment to some day change over my 55 gal to salt, so keep that in mind. I would like to try to keep my cost around $200.00. Anyone know anything about the PS4 Rapids pro Filter System??
Also would prefer a skimmer that isn't too loud.
Pictures of my tank

sly

Considering that you don't have a sump, have you thought about the AquaC Remora? I have heard nothing but good reviews about them.

mr_x

the aqua-c remora i had was loud and put alot of microbubbles in the tank. it also skimmed very poorly, or not at all. 2 thumbs down.
i found that the aqua medic turbofloater worked much better.

casper1875

My Aqua Remora works great! It took about three weeks to dial it in, but now it's wonderful.I had micro bubbles at first, but like everything with a saltwater aquarium, it takes time and lots of patience. I put paper towels over the area where the jet is and the noise level is down to almost nothing. My fan on my lights make more noise than the skimmer. IMO it's a

tayl0124

Thanks for the suggestions, Any other suggestions?? Seems like everyone doesn't feel the same about this skimmer.

mr_x

i had mine for 4 months before i sold it. microbubbles never went away. maybe i just got a bad one...but i doubt it.