Need advice before purchase...

ilovemytank

I'm about to invest in a water top off system. I lose from three to four gallons from evaporation through out the day. This constantly decreases the water level in the sump so that my protien skimmer isn't optimized to its potential. Anyone know about the;
Tunze Osmolator universal 3155 auto top-off system for around $ 200.
I beleave in you pay for what you get and definately don't have the skills to rig up some of these awesome systems that other members make, so purchase is my option. I'd love suggestions on other products too.

bill109

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/3040422
I'm about to invest in a water top off system. I lose from three to four gallons from evaporation through out the day. This constantly decreases the water level in the sump so that my protien skimmer isn't optimized to its potential. Anyone know about the;
Tunze Osmolator universal 3155 auto top-off system for around $ 200.
I beleave in you pay for what you get and definately don't have the skills to rig up some of these awesome systems that other members make, so purchase is my option. I'd love suggestions on other products too.
you could just buy an ro system, and put the water in by your self.. tht is what i did and it works wonders for me. no more 1$ a gallon at the lfs. look up buckeye field supply on google.
i have it make water in a huge 55 gallon drum. then i took and old pump and attached some tubing and all i have to do is plug in the pump and out comes the fresh ro water into a 5 gallon jug.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by bill109
http:///forum/post/3040465
you could just buy an ro system, and put the water in by your self.. tht is what i did and it works wonders for me. no more 1$ a gallon at the lfs. look up buckeye field supply on google.
i have it make water in a huge 55 gallon drum. then i took and old pump and attached some tubing and all i have to do is plug in the pump and out comes the fresh ro water into a 5 gallon jug.
Thanks for the reply. I already have a ro/do unit and also make water in a large drum ( 65 gallon ) I keep fresh water made and saltwater made both constantly stirred with pumps and heated. The issue is that this water suppy isn't near my tank. I use a mag 7 attached to a 30' hose when I want to pump the water in for a water change. My question about the auto top off has to do with another topic all together. I might lose 3 gallons while at work. my skimmer is set for a certain water level in the sump. This 3 gallons reduces the hight of the skim level because it comes from the sump therefore skimmate that would normally be overflowing in the cup doesn't make it that high and in to the collection cup. A auto top off system will keep the water hight the same in the sump and allow much better performance from the skimmer.
Anyone using an auto top off system ?

spanko

Don't have one but have read nothing but good reviews about the Tunze. I have an ATO made by Reef Fanatics. It has served me well over the course of the last year +. Would not be without one!

braydonosu

+1 I have heard great things about the tunze. I have tried about 3 different DIY autotop off systems and none of them have worked. I am trying to avoid another electrical plug so I'm going for a gravity feed. If this last attemp fails I'll be in your boat looking for a good electronic one.

bill109

oh, i gotcha.
i wasnt sure if you had the ro unit.
well i dont know much about them, but i talked to a support line a buckeye filed supply and they had asked how i was hooking it up. and asked about a auto topoff.
they had mentioned that it isnt all that good for the unti to be turned on and off all the time to keep it level.
i would assume that it is true but im no expert.