Need advice on building glass tops!

sdascher

I had the bright idea of building my own glass tops for 2 55g tanks that I recently became the proud owner of!! I ordered the hinges for the all glass - had the glass cut at 3/16th (the same as my all glass 125g - ordered the strips for the backs of the tops..... now - whats the secret for getting these things on???? I have heated the strips, put oil on them etc. and I am having the hardest time getting the glass into these strips & hinges!!Please... if anyone out there has ever replaced the hinges or plastic strips on your glass tops and knows a why to get them on, please let me know.
Thanks

bullshark

I would bet the 125 tank has thicker glass top than a standard 55 gallon. Possible?
My 120 glass top is WAY thicker than my 30 glass top.

serpentine5

Hey guy, I had a hella time getting the glass into the back strip of my glass tops, the hinge was already installed, but I did it. I just measured my glass thickness and it is 2/16 or 1/8 of an inch. Looks like you got the wrong thickness glass. Try to send the hinges and strips back to get the correct size.

sdascher

Sorry - My computer was down for a few days..... Resolved the problem by using a razor and cutting some of the rubber gripping strips out from inside the hinges!! Now it fits great!! As far as the plastic back strips are concerned... I also can trim them and spot glue them into place. Thanks for the comments......