Need advice . . .

clint_reno

My new LR is cooking in a small tank. After three days, it is really starting to take shape. I am using a water pump and air stones to circulate, and gently pull loose debris from the rock. I move the stones several times a day to different points in the tank.
I did not scrub the rock.
The smell is less everyday, and I am running a filter and heater. I look forward to getting it into my display.
My question is about powerheads. I do not have any yet, but will need them for the LR in my display.
What is the best method of placement? I have a tall tank. Do I buy more than one? Are they pointed at the LR? And can you recommend a good model for a 35g hex?
I plan on buying them here at SWF.com. Any theories on powerhead placement would be appreciated.

I would definitely recommend at least two PH's.
As for placement in the tank. Well, there isnt really a right or a wrong way to do it.
For me, the goal with powerheads is to try and create as many different "coral sites" as possible. I try to creat areas with high light/low flow, med light/low flow, low light/low flow, and all the other possibilities.
You want to create areas in your tank that are high, med, and low flow areas. That is really the goal. And you also want to avoid "dead" flow areas that there is no water mvmt.
For a hex tank, I think that my first attempt at placement would be using two powerheads, one about one third up off the bottom on the back glass aimed in a sort of clockwise direction, and the other about two thirds the way up off the bottom on the back glass aimed in a counter-clockwise direction. This will create areas where the water "collides" and will help generate random flow patterns.
The biggest thing to avoid in any tank, but especially a hex tank is a toilet bowl, or whirlpool effect.

clint_reno

That helps. I wouldn't have thought of configuring it in such a way to obtain hi/lo areas! This is a new area for me. Thanks again.